An ion is a particle or atom or molecule that has lost or gained one or more of its valence electrons such that it has a net positive or negative charge for example some positively charged ions that are in ionized drinking water include calcium and magnesium and some negatively charged ions include hydroxide and oxide.
Ionization is a physics and chemistry process that involves neutral atoms or molecules being converted through gaining or losing electrons thereby acquiring a positive or negative charge. Ionization can take place in water and gases.
Water ionization is water enhancing electrochemical process that utilizes the concept of electrolysis to produce mainly alkaline water that has a high pH, and also oxidized or acidic water with a lower pH. The alkaline water is generally called ionized drinking water and ionized water can be used for drinking or cooking purposes whilst oxidized water can be used for household sterilization or disinfection purposes like washing of hands or dishes.
The use of ionized drinking water has several benefits, especially from a human health perspective. Some of the benefits of using ionized drinking water include:
- Contain more essential minerals: As a result of the fact that water ionization increases the concentrations of healthy minerals needed by human bodies like calcium and magnesium, the consumption of ionized water is beneficial for human health. Minerals like calcium and magnesium are essential for healthy bones.
- Triggers increased hydration: Ionized water is easier to hydrate for bodies than normal tap water. This is because its minerals make it much easier for water to be absorbed.
- Detoxification purposes: Ionized water is associated with having detoxification properties among its users.
- Better taste of ionized water: Ionized water has a better taste than normal tap water. Ionized water is sweeter than normal tap water and because of this reason, it is popular with people.
- Acid reflux symptoms: Ionized drinking water can help water consumers suffering from acid reflux symptoms like heartburn or nausea. The high pH of the alkaline water can neutralize stomach acid the same way as antacids do.
- Cardiovascular system benefits: Drinking ionized water has been identified with offering benefits to the cardiovascular system. The benefits are linked with offering benefits to people suffering from high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes. This is because consumers of ionized water had a difference in blood viscosity after consuming such water as compared to those who consumed normal water.
- Other health benefits of drinking ionized water include the ability to conduct colon cleansing, cancer resistance traits, assisting in weight loss, supporting the immune system through the presence of the essential minerals, and the fact that ionized water possesses anti-aging characteristics that are promoted by the antioxidants characteristics of the ionized water.
What are the myths about ionized water?
The myths about drinking ionized water are listed below:
- Drinking alkaline water can change your body’s pH: The proponents of this myth say that if one drinks alkaline water, this can neutralize the acid in the bloodstream (body’s pH). However, in reality, the alkaline water will mix with extremely acidic gastric juices in the stomach before it gets mixed with the alkaline bicarbonate released by the pancreas as it exits the stomach. This overall neutralizes the stomach acid.
- Alkaline water neutralizes acidic food: One of the myths is that alkaline water neutralizes acidic food. This is untrue because excess acids are released by exhaling carbon dioxide.
- Sales fiction: The myth is driven by the notion that ionized water is nothing more than sales fiction.
- Pure water can never be alkaline or acidic: The belief is that electrolysis cannot add minerals to the water. This is untrue as pure water can be electrolyzed to result in water that is rich in minerals.
- Electrolysis devices are worthless for health improvement: The proponents believe that ionizers are not worth it yet they enhance water and produce water that has a variety of health benefits.
- Potable water cannot be electrolyzed: The proponents are of the opinion that clean water that is suitable for drinking cannot undergo significant electrolysis. This is untrue because the water can undergo electrolysis to result in alkaline and acidic water.
What is the self-ionization of water?
Self-ionization is a chemical reaction in which one molecule reacts with another molecule of the same substance. In water, self-ionization occurs when water deprotonates, i.e. loses the nucleus of one of its hydrogen atoms to become a hydroxide. This occurs when the proton-donating molecule becomes a hydroxide ion, OH-, while the proton-accepting molecule becomes a hydronium ion, H3O+. Under standard conditions, water will self-ionize to a very small extent.
How to use ionized water for cleaning?
Ionized acidic water can be used in several ways in cleaning as listed below:
- Cleaning in the kitchen: Acidic water can be sprayed on kitchen tops, countertops, stoves then the sprayed water can be wiped using a cloth.
- Washing dishes: Ionized acidic water can be used to wash dishes and utensils in the kitchen.
- Disinfectant in the bathroom: Ionized water can be used for washing the bathroom ware. Although it is not strong enough to kill microbes, it is a good disinfectant.
- Body washing: Ionized acidic water can be used for washing the face, oral hygiene, and washing the human body. It reduces irritation, scalp irritation, razor bumps, and skin bites can be healed by washing with ionized water.
- Eye hygiene: Ionized acidic water can also be used for washing itchy, dry, or burning eyes.
How does salt in water affect ionization?
Salt can be added to water before it undergoes ionization. Salt acts as a catalyst and makes the ionization process faster. Additionally, this process also creates acidic or very alkaline water depending on whether it contains the cations (catholyte) or anions (anolyte).
Catholyte is a cation containing an electronic solution. A catholyte forms when a mixture of saline solution and water passes through a cathode part of an electrolyte cell and collects in a catholyte tank. Conversely, an anolyte forms when the saline solution passes by the anode component of the electrolyte cell resulting in a solution that contains anions and collects in a separate anolyte tank.
The common anolyte is sodium chloride that has a pH of between 2 and 9 and is acidic. However, for most applications, it is produced within a neutral range of 6.5 to 7 with the common product being hypochlorous acid, one of the most effective disinfectants. Anolyte is mainly a colorless transparent liquid with a mild chlorine smell and is mainly used as a powerful, non-toxic, and non-hazardous water disinfectant. An anolyte has a very low level of active chlorine which makes it non-toxic and hence does not form any toxic by-products. Anolytes can penetrate minute pores of water pipes making them very effective in water disinfection. An anolyte is effective in removing biofilms and algae. Just like the acidic water from ionization, anolyte is rich in oxidants.
A catholyte mainly comprises sodium hydroxide and has a high pH of between 12 and 13, therefore, making it very alkaline. Catholics are mainly used as detergents especially in the food and beverage sector, as degreasers and can work like other alkaline agents like caustic soda.
Due to the fact that an anolyte is one of the most effective disinfectants, penetrates even the smallest pores in water pipes, and does not result in toxic chlorine-based byproducts, it is very effective in the treatment of drinking water. Therefore, the use of strong ionized water or anolyte in water treatment results in high-quality drinking water that complies with the Guidelines on Drinking Water Quality (GDWQ).
What are the stages of water ionization?
The stages of water ionization are as follows:
- Water entry: Normal tap water enters the water ionizer unit. The water ionizer is usually connected to a kitchen faucet giving it independent and direct access to the water supply such that one ionizes water before using it for drinking or cooking.
- Water filtration: When water enters the water ionizer unit, it is first filtered to purify it thus removing typical harmful contaminants like chemicals, heavy metals, and pathogens.
- Entry into electrodes chamber: After filtration, water enters a chamber that has electromagnetically charged platinum-coated titanium electrodes namely a cathode (positive electrode) and anode (negative electrode).
- Ionization/Electrolysis process: The water ionizer undergoes a process called electrolysis characterized by the water running over the positive and negative electrodes. The water then passes over the titanium electrolysis plates in the ionizer. Once the water enters this section which has a very specific low voltage electric current that is passed through it, it will cause the soluble minerals, heavy metals, and other impurities in it to be attracted to either a positive ‘pole’ or a negative ‘pole’ depending on their own electrical energy signature.
- The negative electrodes (anodes) attract the positive ions from the water, whilst the negatively charged ions are attracted to the positively charged electrodes (cathode). During this process, reduced ionized water (alkaline water) is produced, as well as oxidized water (acidic water). The produced alkaline and acidic water are stored separately in the ionizing system.
- The reduced ionized (alkaline) water comes straight out of the faucet for use like drinking or cooking. On the other hand, the oxidized (acidic) water comes out of a separate plastic hose leading to the sink and can be used for disinfection or sterilization like washing hands or dishes.
Which water filters can ionize water?
The list below outlines some of the best water ionizers on the market based on the performance of the ionizer, the power of the water ionizer, the number of options of alkaline and acidic water products, operation and maintenance costs, and the ease of installation. Some of the water ionizers are as follows:
- Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer: The Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer has 8 settings for selecting the desired water product with a wide and impressive pH range of 1.7 to 12.5. The water ionizer has 13 titanium hybrid electrolysis plates signifying superior power and speed in the ionization process. It also has a very high negative ORP of -1150 hence the water ionizer is able to produce water with very strong antioxidant properties.
- Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 9.0: The water ionizer has 7 settings for selecting desired water product with a wider pH range of 3 to 11.5 with strong antioxidant potential as shown by the high negative ORP value of -860. The Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 9.0 ionizes water at a rate of 4 liters per minute. The ionizer has 9 titanium electrolysis plates meaning it’s more powerful and faster during the ionization process.
- Tyent UCE-11 Water Ionizer: The water ionizer boasts 11 titanium electrolysis plates and hence it’s very powerful and fast in terms of the ionization process. The Tyent UCE-11 Water Ionizer has 7 options of different alkaline and acidic water products to choose from and is capable of ionizing water at a rate of 4 liters per minute. The ionizer is able to produce alkaline water with a strong antioxidant potential due to the negative ORP potential of -1050.
- Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 7.0: The Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 7.0 has a choice of 7 settings for the ionized water to choose from. The water ionizer is fitted with 7 titanium electrolysis plates that are able to ionize water at a rate of 3 liters per minute. The ionized water produced has a wide range of pH ranging between 4.5 and 11 and the resultant alkaline water has a strong antioxidant potential of -840 ORP. The carbon filter in the ionizer need to be replaced after the treatment of 6,000 liters of water thus having moderate maintenance costs
- Bawell Platinum Alkaline Water Ionizer Machine: The Bawell Platinum Alkaline Water Ionizer Machine is one of the top of the range water ionizers. The water ionizer has 7 medical-grade titanium electrolysis plates with a high surface area thus exhibiting superior ionization rates. The ionizer has 2 carbon filters for offering excellent purification of water before ionization. The ionizer has an impressive choice of 8 ionized water products and is able to achieve a flow rate of 7 liters of ionized water per minute.
- ionHealth Premium Alkaline Water Ionizer: The ionHealth Premium Alkaline Water Ionizer is equipped with 9 titanium electrolysis plates and has dual water filters that can remove 99% of contaminants including some bacteria from water prior to ionization. The ionizer is fitted with 7 options for ionized water products. The ionizer can produce ionized water at a rate of 3 liters per minute whilst achieving pH ranges between 2.7 and 11.5. The alkaline water has strong antioxidant capabilities due to a negative ORP of -950.
- Kangen Water Machine Ionizer: The Kangen Water Machine Ionizer has 7 titanium electrolysis plates and 2 filters for purification before ionization. The ionizer has 5 ionized water product options that are able to produce ionized water with a wide pH range of 2.5 to 11. The Kangen Water Machine Ionizer has a good ORP value of -800 showing its capability to produce strong antioxidant water.
- Life MXL-9 Counter Top Ionizer: The Life MXL-9 Counter Top Ionizer boasts of 9 extra-large titanium electrolysis plates thus being able to achieve a powerful and fast rate of water ionization. The water ionizer has 8 options for selecting the ionized water product from and has 2 pre-filters incorporated into the ionizer machine for excellent treatment before the ionization process.
- AlkaViva Vesta H2 Water Ionizer: The AlkaViva Vesta H2 Water Ionizer has 9 smart titanium electrolysis plates and 2 cartridge filters for pre-ionization water purification. The AlkaViva Vesta H2 Water Ionizer has 8 options of ionized water products and has strong antioxidant capabilities due to the high negative ORP value of -800.
- Aqua Beauty Ionizer/ Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 5.0: The Aqua Beauty Ionizer/ Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 5.0 is one of the most affordable water ionizers. The ionizer has 7 options for ionized water products at a flow rate of 3 liters per minute. The water ionizer has an active carbon filter for the pre-treatment of water before ionization.
Should one be interested in buying one of the best water ionizers currently, the person can evaluate the specifications of the Best Water Ionizers discussed above.
Is ionizing water with water filters healthy?
Yes, ionizing water with water filters is healthy. This is because they offer a number of health benefits as stated below. Ionized water contains more essential minerals like calcium and magnesium that are essential for human health and is essential for human bones health, triggers increased hydration in human bodies, has a sweet and better taste than normal tap water. Ionized drinking water can neutralize stomach acid the same way as antacids do. Ionized drinking water has a suite of health advantages like cancer resistance properties and supporting the immune system.
Which water filter is best for ionizing the water?
The best water ionizer on the market is the Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer. The Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer is an under-the-counter ionizer that is manufactured by the American company Tyent. The water ionizer is a 2022 model that is slim and is rich in terms of its specifications for the water ionization process. The Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer has 13 platinum-coated titanium solid mesh / hybrid electrolysis plates meaning it is very powerful and faster during the ionization process. The Tyent UCE-13 Water Ionizer has solid and meshes hybrid plates which are not only strong but their hybrid nature increases the surface area and effectiveness over which electrolysis takes place.
The Tyent UCE-13 Plus Water Ionizer has 8 settings that produce water of different pH characteristics ranging between 1.7 and 12.5 depending on the intended use. The different options include 3 for alkaline water products, 1 for purified (neutral) water, and 3 for acidic water and a turbo function that produces strong alkaline or strongly acidic water that is only meant for cleaning (disinfection for acidic and stain for alkaline) and not for consumption. Each of the different settings can be customized and produces water with different pH value ranges.
The Tyent UCE-13 Water Ionizer comes at a cost of $4,500. The chamber is made of metal whereas the plates are made of titanium and coated with platinum, faucets are made of metal and the hoses are made of rubber. The ionizer uses dual filters, namely the Dual 0.01 Micron Dialapure Filters that offer excellent filtration as the one used in kidney dialysis.
The main maintenance requirements of Tyent UCE-13 are the replacement of the 2 filters either through the filter usage and replacement recommendation on the LCD of the ionizer or every 6 months. The Tyent UCE-13 Water Ionizer is capable of ionizing water at a rate of 2.5 liters per minute.
The main advantages of the Tyent UCE-13 Water Ionizer include the following:
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer has a hybrid design of solid and meshes huge platinum plates that promote high efficiency and effectiveness in the process of ionization.
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer has double filters that cater to the removal of other constituents from the water to make it safer for consumption prior to ionization.
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer has a modern, smartphone inspired and preset full-touch screen LCD that is easy to use.
- The LCD of the Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer shows the filter usage and recommends when the filters need to be replaced.
- The turbo mode of the Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer not only provides very alkaline/acidic water but also automatically cleans the ionizer.
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer has an impressive negative ORP potential of -1150 indicating that the resulting alkaline water has very strong antioxidant potential.
Some of the disadvantages of the Tyent UCE-13 Water Ionizer include:
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer is expensive to buy.
- The 2 filters of the Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer need to be changed regularly after about 6 months. The ionizer does not have a lifetime warranty that other manufacturers offer.
- The Tyent UCE-13 water ionizer is quite difficult to install.
Based on the review of the Tyent UCE-13, it is the best water ionizer on the market at the moment.
What is the difference between ionized and alkaline water?
Whilst there is a similarity between ionized water and alkaline water, the main difference between ionized and alkaline water is that ionized water can either be alkaline or acidic. When normal tap water is introduced into the ionizer and undergoes electrolysis, alkaline water is collected from the faucet whilst acidic water comes out through the rubber hose and drains into the sink. In a nutshell, the difference between alkaline and ionized water is that alkaline water is one of the products of the 2 products of ionized water.