- 1 Best Countertop Water Filter Reviews – (Newest Models)
- 1.1 1. Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter
- 1.2 2. CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System
- 1.3 3. Home Master Jr F2 Countertop Water Filter
- 1.4 4. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System
- 1.5 5. Home Master Jr F2 Sinktop Water Filtration System
- 1.6 6. Royal Berkey Water Filter 3 Gallon System Bundle
- 1.7 7. Home Master Jr F2 Elite Sinktop Water Filtration System
- 1.8 8. Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
- 1.9 9. Water Fall | Home Water Filter BY KOR Water
- 1.10 10. Aquasana Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
- 1.11 11. AQUASPREE Exclusive 7 Stage Alkaline Water Filter
- 2 Countertop Water Filter Buying Guide
- 3 The Countertop Water Filter: Its Pros and Cons
- 4 How to Install a Countertop Water Filter
- 5 How Countertop Water Filters Work
- 6 Best Countertop Water Filters Comparison Chart
- 7 Wrap Up
The best countertop water filters can change your life for the better. Using these filters will eliminate the contaminants in your drinking water. But did you know that using some of these water filters can also stimulate weight loss and boost your immune system?
Using countertop water filters will not only remove the contaminants and harmful chemicals in your water, but it will also alkalinize your drinking water, making it better for your health and optimal for weight loss.
In the first part of the following article, we present the countertop water filter reviews of 2019 and expose their pros and cons.
In the second part, we explain how to choose the right model for your need and the advantages of using a water filter in your house.
Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter
|View On Amazon|
CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System
|View On Amazon|
Home Master Jr F2 Countertop Water Filter
|View On Amazon|
New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System
|View On Amazon|
Home Master Jr F2 Sinktop Water Filtration System
|View On Amazon|
Royal Berkey Water Filter 3 Gallon System Bundle
|View On Amazon|
Best Countertop Water Filter Reviews – (Newest Models)
1. Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter
The Apex countertop water filter will remove up to 99% of the contaminants in your drinking water. This water filter can remove bacteria, parasites, fluoride, chlorine, arsenal, and harmful minerals and metals like sodium and lead.
We were impressed by the filter’s ability to add minerals to your water. After it removes the harmful particles in your water, the filter will add beneficial minerals to it, making it alkaline and healthier to drink.
Another good thing about this filter is that it has low maintenance. You don’t have to clean the filters frequently, and a single filter can purify up to 750 gallons of water.
Alkaline Water – This model produces alkaline water that’s healthier to drink
Design Could Be Better – Even though this is a good water filter, its design could be improved. As it is, the filter’s tube can get in your way when using the faucet
2. CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System
The CleanWater4Less® is a very popular countertop filtering solution. This model comes at a great price, and it’s very efficient, making it one of the most cost-effective models available now.
We were really impressed with this system’s water filtering capacity. This unit can filter out the contaminants in about 10,000 gallons of water before needing a replacement.
As far as the system’s filtering capacity is concerned, this model will remove most of the contaminants in your water. The filter will eliminate most of the bacteria, harmful chemicals, and dangerous minerals from your drinking water.
Good Instructions – This model comes with good installation and priming instructions
No Filter-Change Warning – The model doesn’t warn you when the 10,000-gallon limit is almost reached.
3. Home Master Jr F2 Countertop Water Filter
The Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 is a countertop water filter that will remove most of the contaminants in your drinking water. This model will remove most of the bacteria and parasites that can be found in the water, but it will also remove up to 93% of the fluoride, chlorine, and other harmful chemicals you might find in the water.
We really enjoyed this filter’s design. The water filter has a compact design that won’t take up too much space on your countertop, and it will fit on most counters without any kind of problem.
The water filter is easy to install, and its small dimensions make it suitable for people who travel and need a water filtering solution.
Compact Design – This model has a compact design, so it won’t take up too much space
Filters Are Difficult To Replace – This model’s filters can be difficult to replace
4. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System
The New Wave Enviro is a good filtration system that will remove most of the contaminants in your drinking water in a 10-step filtering process. This model uses a complex filtering process to remove the bacteria, harmful chemicals, and heavy metals from your water.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it’s extremely easy to install. You just have to connect the water filter to the faucet spout and you’re done. The water filtering process is fast. A whole gallon of water can be filtered in about one and a half minutes, which is a better output than what most of its competitors offer.
Easy Installation – This model can be installed easily, and handy people will be able to do it without even reading the instructions
Filter Drips – The water filter drips for some time after you turn off the faucet
5. Home Master Jr F2 Sinktop Water Filtration System
The Home Master TMJRF2-BK Jr F2 is a good countertop water filtering solution that comes at a decent price. This model will remove most of the contaminants in the water, including dangerous bacteria and parasites, chemicals, and harmful metals and minerals. The water filter is so efficient, it will remove up to 93% of the harmful chemicals in your drinking water.
We appreciated the filter’s small and compact design. Not only does this design make the filter suitable for travel, but it also makes it easy to install and use. The Jr F2 takes up a small amount of space, so it will fit snugly next to your faucet
Removes Fluoride – This water filter will remove up to 93% of the fluoride in your water
Attachment Faucet Is Faulty – The attachment faucet’s ability to bounce back once you’re done using it doesn’t last long.
6. Royal Berkey Water Filter 3 Gallon System Bundle
The Royal Berkey water filtering system is a popular model that will absorb most of the contaminants in your water, making it healthy without altering its taste. This water filter is able to filter up to 3,000 gallons of water before it will need a replacement.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it produces tasty water when it’s used correctly. This water filter comes with a 3.5-gallon stainless steel container that will not change the water’s taste, no matter how long it stores it.
As far as the filter is concerned, this model uses a filtering system that will remove germs, herbicides, pesticides, and organic solvents. The filter will also reduce the number of nitrates in the water without removing the minerals your body uses.
Great Taste – The water resulted from the filtering process tastes good
Poor Instructions – The filter’s installation and priming instructions are poor, so you will be better off watching the instructive videos on the manufacturer’s website
Home Master Jr F2 Elite Sinktop Water Filtration System
|View On Amazon|
Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
|View On Amazon|
Water Fall | Home Water Filter BY KOR Water
|View On Amazon|
Aquasana Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
|View On Amazon|
AQUASPREE Exclusive 7 Stage Alkaline Water Filter
|View On Amazon|
7. Home Master Jr F2 Elite Sinktop Water Filtration System
The Home Master TMJRF2E Jr F2 Elite is a newer and upgraded version of the model above. This unit is a great water filtration solution that doesn’t take up too much space, and it will remove most of the contaminants in your water.
Just like the previous model, this one can also filter out up to 93% of the fluoride in your water. In addition, this model is better at filtering chloramines and chlorine from the water than the previous model. The F2 Elite can also remove many microcontaminants like pharmaceuticals from your drinking water.
A good thing about this model is that it has a good flow rate. Unlike other units, this water filter will filter the water in quick succession.
Filters Chloramines – The F2 Elite is can filter the chloramines in your water source
Filters Are Not Recyclable – The F2 Elite’s water filters are not recyclable
8. Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
The Ecosoft water filter system is a great model for those who want to experience the benefits of drinking uncontaminated water but have a limited budget. This model will remove most of the contaminants in your drinking water, including sediment particles, bad tastes and odors, heavy metals, and chlorine.
One of the things we liked about this model is that it comes with everything you need for the installation. The water filter even comes with a small plastic wrench, so you don’t have to use any other tools whatsoever.
Another good thing about this unit is that it has low maintenance. You will have to change the system’s filter once every 6 months or once it filters 1,500 gallons of water
Cost-Effective – This water filtration system offers good performance and comes at a cheap price
Poor Documentation – This water filter comes with poor installation instructions
9. Water Fall | Home Water Filter BY KOR Water
The KOR water filtration system is one of the best models in its price category. This unit is very effective, and it can remove most of the contaminants in your drinking water. The filter lasts for up to 4 months or for 80 gallons, and it can remove bad tastes and smells, chlorine, and chloramines.
We were impressed by the water filter’s design. This model has a great design, and it comes with a beautiful recipient that can act as a carafe once the water is filtered. Thanks to the filter’s design, you can add fruit or vegetables and create tasty infused water.
Beautiful Design – This water filter has a gorgeous design that will fit perfectly in every kitchen
Slow Filtration – Despite the fact that this is an efficient filter, some customers complain that the filtration process is slow
10. Aquasana Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
The Aquasana water filter is a good budget solution for those who want to filter their drinking water. This model is very efficient, and it will remove up to 97% of the contaminants in your water. These contaminants include but are not limited to chlorine, lead, pharmaceuticals, as well as the bad tastes and smells that can affect your water.
We liked that this model can retain the healthy minerals in your drinking water. The filter will retain the calcium, magnesium, and potassium of the water, making it healthier. Another good thing about this model is that it’s very easy to install. The filter doesn’t need any permanent fixtures, making it suitable for those who like to travel as well.
Efficient – This water filter will remove up to 97% of the contaminants in your water
Slow – The water filter might be efficient, but it’s also slow. You will need to be patient when you filter the water.
11. AQUASPREE Exclusive 7 Stage Alkaline Water Filter
The AQUASPREE water filtering system is a good solution for those who want to improve the quality of their water. This model comes with a spacious recipient that will hold up to 5 gallons of filtered water, so you won’t have to worry about filtering water very often.
We were impressed by the filter’s design and large capacity container. The fact that you can fill a glass of water by simply pushing on the lever directly with the glass is very helpful, and it will allow you to use the filter with only one hand.
Since this model comes with a large capacity container, it can be used in small businesses or offices with great results.
Alkaline Water – The filtered water is alkaline, making it healthier to drink
Complicated Priming – The filter’s priming process is complicated, and the instructions are not very helpful. You should contact the customer’s support service if find the process difficult
Countertop Water Filter Buying Guide
There are a lot of countertop water filters available on the market, and all of them are marketed as being revolutionary and the very best. This can make choosing a model difficult and even be frustrating at times.
That’s why we decided to create this water filter buying guide. In the following section, you’ll learn how to choose a countertop water filter, what to consider before buying, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of using such a model.
What To Consider Before Buying A Countertop Water Filter
The first thing you should consider before buying a countertop water filter is what kind of filter you would like to use. Basically, there are two types of water filters you can choose from
- Water Filter Pitcher – These models are not connected to your faucet, but they can still be very efficient at filtering your water. Even though it might not seem so at first, using a water filter that’s not connected to your faucet can have many advantages, especially if your sink’s countertop is narrow or small. This will allow you to place the water filter on another counter, as you would with any other appliance. These water filters are also great for those who want to use one in an office environment or for a small business. However, using these filters tends to be more of a hustle, since you have to fill them periodically in order to filter the water.
- Faucet Filters – As the name suggests, these models connect directly to your faucet. They are very efficient at filtering the water, and they are easy to use. Using these models also has its advantages, and since they are easier to use than the pitchers, you and your household members might use them more frequently than the other models. Most of the faucet filters will easily attach to your faucet’s aerator, and you will be able to install them in a matter of minutes. Even though these models are easy to use, one of the downsides of using them is not being able to tell how much water they filtered, so you can their periodical maintenance.
You should also take into consideration the size of the water filter. If you go for a faucet filter, make sure the model you choose will actually fit beside your faucet, either on the counter or on the sink itself. This is also true about pitcher filters. Some of these filters have a small capacity, so they will fit almost everywhere. Others are so large they will take up considerable space, so you should make sure you know where you’re going to place them beforehand.
All the water filters we reviewed can remove the bad odors, foul tastes, sediment, and some heavy metals. However, not all the filters are equally efficient in removing the same elements in the water. Some models are better at removing chlorine than others. Some can remove chloramines, and some cannot. Some will remove most of the contaminants, but they will also remove some of the beneficial minerals in the water. That’s why you should have a general idea on what elements the filter should remove from your drinking water. You can find that out easily enough by using a water test kit. These kits will tell you the water’s pH, and they will also measure the water’s hardness, heavy metal concentration, and other values. Once you find out which are the most harmful things in your water, look for a water filter that can remove them.
You should also think about how much you’re willing to pay for a water filtering system. There are hundreds if not thousands of filtering systems available on the market, and most of them come at different prices. However, you shouldn’t consider that the most expensive ones are the best because that might not be the case. It’s difficult to have a general opinion on a water filter.
Some models are better at removing heavy metals, so if your water is contaminated by heavy metals, they will be better for you. Others are good at removing pesticides and pharmaceuticals, so if you know there might be some in your water, you might be better off using them than a model that’s more expensive but better suited at removing chloramines.
Installing a water filter is just the first step in using one. Unfortunately, no matter which model you choose, you can’t escape the regular maintenance it needs. Every filter will reach its maximum capacity at some point. If you use the water filter beyond its maximum capacity, the water will have the same quality as the one you get from your tap. Some models will reach their capacity in four months, while others will reach it in 12. The unit’s maximum filtering capacity is rarely influenced by its starting price.
In fact, there are some expensive models that will need a filter change in four months, whereas cheaper models will need it in eight. The filter change can be pricey. Some models use 4 consecutive filters to clean your drinking water, and you will eventually have to change all of them. You should make sure you know how much a filter change will cost and how often you have to do it before deciding on a water filter model.
Even though water filters produce healthier drinking water, it’s not uncommon to encounter people who complain that the water tastes bad. Some people might say that the water tastes bad or different just because they’ve gotten used to drinking chlorinated water and it’s difficult for them to get used to drinking unchlorinated one.
Another aspect you should consider is that the water filter can remove some of the healthy minerals in your water. If your water is hard, it will contain large amounts of calcium and magnesium, the minerals that create limestone.
However, even if limestone is difficult to get rid of and it might ruin the aspect of your sink, drinking hard water is something you might have gotten used to over the years. Some water filters are so efficient, they will remove most of the calcium and magnesium in your drinking water.
But by removing these elements, the filters will surely change its taste as well. And not only the water’s taste will be different. The water will contain fewer minerals, so it will feel different as well.
To avoid this situation, you should look for water filters that will remineralize your drinking water. These models use a special filter that will add magnesium and calcium to your drinking water, making tastier and healthier at the same time.
Ease Of Use
As a rule of thumb, faucet water filters are easier to use than pitcher water filters. One of the reasons is their position. Unlike pitcher water filters, faucet ones have to be installed close to your sink and faucet. To use the filter, you just have to turn a switch and turn on the faucet. It’s as simple as that.
On the other hand, filter pitchers are more difficult to use. If you want to benefit from the filtered water, you will have to make sure the water filter’s container is refilled often. This might not be so difficult to do, as some models use containers that can have a storage capacity of 5 gallons.
However, in a busy home or office, even 5 gallons of water can run out pretty fast. On the bright side, using water filter pitchers can have its own advantages. You can add freshly cut fruit and vegetables to the pitcher, and drink infused water instead of a regular one, which will be even healthier.
Some water filters have the ability to make your water more alkaline. Alkaline water has anti-aging properties, it can boost your immune system, help your digestive system, as well as hydrating your skin and promoting weight loss. Some water filters use special filter cartridges to make your drinking water more alkaline, so if you want to experience these benefits, you can look for a model that does.
4 Steps to Buying a Countertop Water Filter
There are a few steps you should follow to make sure you choose the best countertop water filter.
- Set A Price Range – You should decide on how much you’re willing to invest in a water filtering system before you start looking for one. If you don’t, you risk falling down the rabbit hole and spending more than you’re supposed to on a model.
- Test Your Water – The second thing you should do before buying a water filter is to test your water. There are a lot of water kits you can use to test your drinking water, and most of them come at decent prices. Some models will even be able to tell if your water is contaminated by pesticides, herbicides, and pharmaceuticals, but these ones tend to be more expensive. However, if you suspect your water can be contaminated by these substances, you should test it nonetheless.
- Research The Contaminants – Once you find out which are the contaminants in your water, you should do some quick research online to find out which of them are more harmful. In some cases, this can be obvious because anyone can tell that lead is more harmful than chlorine, but in others, it can be more complicated. But, if you’d have to choose between nitrates and chloramines, the difference might not be so obvious. So, do your research.
- Find A Suitable Model – Now that you know which contaminants are in your water, which are the most harmful, and their approximate quantities, you should look for a water filter that can stop most of them. If none of the water filters you find can remove all the contaminants in your water source, the best approach would be to choose the one that can remove the most harmful ones.
The Countertop Water Filter: Its Pros and Cons
Advantages Of Countertop Water Filters
Countertop water filters offer a lot of advantages. Here is a list of the most important ones
- Cheap – Countertop water filters are cheap. These models cost only a fraction of the price of other filtering solutions, and they offer good results.
- Don’t Take Up Much Space – We couldn’t say that countertop water filters are small because that would be lying. Some models come with recipients that have a storage capacity of 5 gallons, and those models are not small. However, countertop filters are some of the most compact water filtering solutions available on the market.
- Easy Installation – Countertop water filters are easy to install. Faucet models have to be connected to your faucet and they’re ready to go. Water filter pitchers don’t even need installation, it’s more of an assembling process. You just have to make sure that the filter cartridges are in their right place, and you can use them.
- Efficient – Despite their compact sizes, countertop water filters are really efficient. All the models we reviewed will remove most of the contaminants in your water, including but not limited to debris, foul smells and tastes, chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, chloramine, and fluoride.
- Low Maintenance – Countertop water filters have low maintenance. All you have to do is to make sure that you change the filter cartridges once they reach their maximum capacity. Some models come with features that can help you determine when to change the cartridges. Whether they provide a counter you can use to tick off the gallons of water you filtered or they use a color-coded system to warn you of the filter change, these features will make the maintenance process easier.
- Remineralized Water – Some countertop water filters can remineralize your drinking water. When your drinking water is filtered, not only the contaminants are blocked from reaching your glass. The beneficial minerals are also stopped, and that can be detrimental to your health. By remineralizing your drinking water, the water filters will not only remove the contaminants in your water, but they will also make it better for your overall health.
- Easy Priming – No matter which type of water filtering solution you choose, you will have to spend some time priming the filter cartridges. One of the good things about using countertop water filters is that you can easily prime the cartridges. Most often than not, the water filter’s manufacturer will provide all the necessary instructions for the priming process. Some manufacturers even provide instructive videos on how to prime your unit.
Disadvantages Of Countertop Water Filters
Even though they are excellent water filtering solutions, countertop water filters have their share of disadvantages as well.
- Aspect – Some water filter pitchers can look really nice. However, no matter how much the manufacturers try, faucet water filters can still lower the aesthetics of your kitchen.
- Single Point – Unlike other water filtering solutions, countertop models can be connected to a single faucet
- Not Overly Efficient – Some water filtering solutions can remove more contaminants from the water than countertop models.
- Slow Filtration Rate – Countertop water filters are efficient, but they’re not very fast. Faucet models have a higher filtration rate than pitcher models, but they’re still pretty slow.
How to Install a Countertop Water Filter
Installing a countertop water filter is not difficult. You might need an adjustable wrench for the installation process, but some models come with small plastic wrenches you can use instead. Here’s how you do it.
- Place the water filter next to your faucet. Make sure the filter is close enough to the faucet so the water line can connect the two without interfering with your movement.
- Remove the aerator from the faucet
- If the faucet has an outside thread, connect the filter. If the faucet has an inside thread, connect the adapter to the faucet and then screw in the filter. Make sure you use a washer. Do not attempt to screw the adapter too tightly because you can damage it by mistake
- Attach the diverter valve to the faucet. When you start the water, it should flow out of the faucet.
- When you rotate the diverter valve, the water should flow out of the water filter.
How Countertop Water Filters Work
Even though they might seem simple, countertop water filters actually use a complex process to filter your drinking water. The process is roughly the same, but some models might use additional steps in their filtration. Here’s how they do it.
- Step – Mechanical Filtration
The first step is mechanical filtration. The water is pushed through a filter that has small pores. These pores are usually between 0.1 – 0.3 microns, and they will successfully remove any trace of sediment, rust, impurities, and other particles that might contaminate the water. Some large bacteria and parasites will also be removed during this step.
- Step – Water Softening
The second step of the filtration process is water softening. This process is usually done with ion exchange resins that will remove the calcium and magnesium in the water, making it softer. This process also eliminates toxins and heavy metals.
- Step – Activated Carbon Filtration
The third and often considered the most important part of the filtration system is the activated carbon filter. This filter removes the organic contaminants in the water, including pesticides, herbicides, volatile organic compounds, disinfectants, and chlorine.
- Step (Optional) – Alkalization
This is an optional step. During this process, infrared rays are used to ionize the acidic components in the water, making it more alkaline.
- Step (Optional) – KDF Filtration
The KDF filter further reduces and neutralizes the Iron, Mercury, Lead, Chlorine, and Hydrogen Sulfide in the water.
- Step (Optional) – Silver Filter
The silver filter is great at eliminating the remaining bacteria, viruses, toxins, and heavy metals in the water.
- Step (Optional) – Remineralization
The remineralization cartridge is probably the rarest cartridge of the ones we listed so far. This cartridge will release calcium and magnesium ions in the water, making it healthier to drink.
Best Countertop Water Filters Comparison Chart
|Royal Berkey Water Filter||$$$$||20.4 x 12.6 x 12.5"||12.76 pounds||up to 3,000 gallons||No|
|Apex Countertop Drinking Water Filter||$$$||12 x 4.5 x 4.5"||4.85 pounds||up to 750 gallons||National Safety Foundation’s certified|
|Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 Counter Top Water Filtration System||$$||12.3 x 9.4 x 7.6"||4.1 pounds||3 months or 500 gallons||Frustration-free|
|New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System||$$||12.2 x 5.4 x 4.6"||4.06 pounds||1,500 gallons||NSF and Gold Seal Association Certified|
|CleanWater4Less® Countertop Water Filtration System||$||5 x 5 x 9.5"||3.48 pounds||10,000 Gallons of||No|
|Home Master TMJRF2-BK Jr F2 Sinktop Water Filtration System||$$$||4.5 x 6 x 12"||4.81 pounds||3 months or 500 gallons.||Frustration-free|
|Home Master Jr F2 Elite Sinktop Water Filtration System||$$$||5 x 5 x 12"||4.56 pounds||3 months or 500 gallons||No|
|Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System||$||3.5 x 3.5 x 12"||3.15 pounds||up to 6 months or 1500 gallons||No|
|Water Fall | Home Water Filter BY KOR Water||$$||9.3 x 18.7 x 12.2"||7.2 pounds||up to 4 months or for 80 gallons||NSF 42 standard|
|Aquasana Countertop Drinking Water Filter System||$$||12 x 7 x 4"||2.95 pounds||6 months||NSF Certified / Frustration-free|
|AQUASPREE Exclusive 7 Stage Alkaline Water Filter||$$$||12.2 x 11.8 x 21.2"||9.2 pounds||6 months or 500 gallons||No|
As you could see in our countertop water filter reviews, there is no such thing as a universal best model. Every model is better suited for a specific task. Some filters will remove more chlorine than others but less fluoride. Others will do a great job at removing heavy metals, but they won’t be so effective at removing pharmaceuticals.
If you want to find the best countertop water filter, you should first test your water and see which contaminants affect it. Once you find out the contaminants, you can easily choose a model that will be effective at stopping them from reaching your drinking water.