This Grundfos pump is a rotor one, and its motor and pump are integrated into one unit. Instead of a shaft seal, there are two gaskets for sealing. What makes this product unique is the range of materials used in its unit, such as ceramic, carbon, stainless steel, and cast iron. Namely, the combination of materials shows that this pump is a reliable one.
First of all, the system has a cast – iron pump housing, which is proof that the product is durable and can be used continuously. Then the unit features a ceramic shaft with a carbon axial bearing. The rotor itself is made of stainless steel, which has proved to be one of the most long-lasting materials. Moreover, this essential part of the pump is corrosion – resistant. In addition to this variety of materials, the pump also features a PES composite whose polymers are sturdy and remain stable at high temperatures.
After all, the features that we have enlisted in this part of our review, it is not surprising that this product is UL certified as a safe one. A drawback is that this Grundfos system doesn’t have a timer or a switch, so if you want, you can connect it to an Intermatic timer.
What Does It Do?
You will be impressed by the fact that this top-notch hot water recirculating pump uses very little energy to circulate the hot water in your household. It provides the necessary amount of hot water in seconds, even in cold mornings. You can also use this pump for circulating liquids in cooling and air-conditioning systems. No matter if you have single or double valve faucets, this system works well with both types.
This Grundfos pump is such a quiet appliance that you can mount it right behind your headboard wall, and it won’t bother you. If you hear any humming sound, this is a signal that the pump has worn out, and needs to be replaced.
Since this unit is made of cast iron, it is not recommended to use it to circulate potable water. The reason for this is that it may introduce rust into your system.
The Content of the Set
- A rotor-type pump
- Two gaskets;
- The unit comes with the flanges already attached to it so that it is easier to install.
Keep in mind that this pump doesn’t come with a cord, so you need to get one additionally.
Voltage: 115 volts
Weight: 6, 89 pounds
Dimensions: 5, 25 x 4, 19 x 6,5 inches
Material: Cast iron
What to Expect?
You don’t need to lubricate the bearings, as the pumped liquid does this job. Moreover, if you provide a positive pressure on the inlet or the water supply is directly on the inlet, you won’t need to prime the pump. As far as installation is concerned, you can mount the unit so that the electronics can be on either side, but not on the bottom. Follow the instructions in the manual for all the possible installation positions. Before you mount the unit, you need to purge all the air trapped in the water lines.
- Thanks to the range of materials that this pump is made of, it has proved to be a very sturdy and durable unit.
- You can be assured that this product is safe to use as it is UL certified.
- The installation of the unit is easy as it comes with the flanges already attached.
- You can use this pump for domestic hot water and the circulation of liquids in different cooling and air-conditioning systems.
- Taking into account the fact that the pump housing is made of cast iron, we can quickly draw the conclusion that this unit is not appropriate for potable water use. The reason for this is that the material may cause rust to appear in the system.
- The pump does not feature a purge outlet, which is an inconvenience considering the fact that you need to get the air out of the water lines whenever you have to replace the unit.