Under-sink water filters are compact filters that can be installed under the sink. Under-sink water filters are the perfect choice for apartments or homes with few points of use. They take little space under the sink and are also hidden from view. This makes the best under-sink water filter an aesthetically pleasing option when users want to avoid clutter.
With the multitude of choices, customers might need an under-sink water filter buying guide. Multiple brands create under-sink water filters, including Waterdrop, Aquasana, APEC, Filtrete, Frizzlife, and A.O. Smith. Under-sink water filters are easy to install, can kill 99% of the bacteria, and can provide at least half a gallon of water per minute.
To make the selection easier, the best under-sink water filters are listed below:
- Waterdrop 15UA Best Under-sink Water Filter
- Aquasana 3-Stage Water Filter Systems
- Frizzlife Under-sink Filter System
- CuZn UC-200
- A.O. Smith AO-US-200
- Clearly Filtered Under-sink Filtration System
- Epic Smart Shield
- Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Under-Sink Water Filter System
- Filtrete Under-sink Water Filtration System
- APEC WFS-1000
Best Under-Sink Water Filters Comparison Table
Waterdrop 15UA Under-sink Water Filter
|View On Amazon|
Aquasana 3-Stage Water Filter Systems
|View On Aquasana|
Frizzlife Under-Sink Filter System
|View On Amazon|
CuZn UC-200 Under-Sink Water Filter
|View On Cuzn|
A.O. Smith AO-US-200
|View On Amazon|
Clearly Filtered Under-Sink Filtration System
|View On Clearly|
Epic Smart Shield
|View On Epic Water|
Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Under-Sink Water Filter System
|View On Waterdrop|
Filtrete Under-Sink Water Filtration System
|View On Amazon|
|View On Amazon|
1. Waterdrop 15UA Under-sink Water Filter
Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter is very popular for its compact frame, making it a suitable option for small households with little space under the sink. Waterdrop is very popular in the United States for making cost-effective filters. They created more than 500 patents with simple installations and multiple applications. The brand’s products are a good option for small households and larger ones alike.
What makes Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter unique is the fact that it can be installed so easily. It takes less than 10 minutes to install the product. It also has the capacity to significantly remove bad tastes and odor from the water. The Waterdrop 15UA is a good option in areas where the tap water tastes bad.
At around $57, the Waterdrop under-sink water filter is inexpensive. Filters are an ongoing cost, as they need to be replaced regularly. It is recommended that they are replaced once every 6 months, to not compromise the water quality. The company claims that users will only have to spend $0.09 per day in the first year on running costs, and $0.04 per day for filter replacements.
The casing of the filtration system is mainly made from stainless steel. The Waterdrop system weighs 4 pounds and is very sturdy. The materials are lead-free, which ensures the safety and reliability of the product. The inner filters are made from activated carbon blocks, which will safely filter out the contaminants and improve the taste of the water.
The longevity of the filter depends on the quality of the water. If used on sinks that receive municipal water, it can last as long as 2 years (or around 16,000 gallons of water). If the water is heavily contaminated, the filters need to be changed every year. Compared to other water filters, the Waterdrop15UA filter has a very long life.
The filters of the Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter are only replaced once every one or two years. As a result, maintenance is very easy. There is no tank to clean, which makes it easy to keep the water sterile. The occasional wipe of the housing will be necessary. This will ensure no damage will happen to the parts throughout the years, lengthening the life of the filter.
Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter can catch most pollutants that are larger than 0.01 microns. It can remove the taste of chlorine, rust, heavy metals, and other contaminants from the water. This is done while retaining the beneficial minerals present in the water, such as calcium or magnesium.
Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter has a flow rate of 0.75 gallons per minute at 60 PSI. This is higher than most under-sink water filters. Users will not have to wait too long in order to get a regular glass of water. The filtration occurs almost immediately. The system is capable of producing 22 gallons of water per day, which meets the average needs for human household consumption.
The Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter has the following advantages:
- Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter is very easy to install, as long as the instructions are followed. According to previous users, it takes around 10 minutes to install it.
- Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter is a price-friendly model. The product is affordable, and the running costs are also low.
- Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter is compact enough to be used in a small room. It can be used in small kitchens, bathrooms, break rooms, and even RVs.
The disadvantages of the Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter are:
- Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter cannot be used on well water. It was designed for municipal water. If the water is drawn from a well, then it is essential to install a pre-filtration system.
- Waterdrop 15UA under-sink water filter does not reduce TDS. This helps it maintain the beneficial minerals in the water but may also leave several types of pollutants in the water.
2. Aquasana 3-Stage Water Filter Systems
The Aquasana 3-stage water filter takes the water through 3 stages of filtration. It has the ability to remove several contaminants from the water once it is installed on the water line underneath. The Aquasana brand is long withstanding. Even if the ownership went to A.O. Smith, the brand retained its functionality. Considering it is now adopted by A.O. Smith, its reliability increased even more.
The Aquasana 3-stage under-sink filter is unique due to the fact that it has a double Claryum filter. The first filter is a pre-filter that removes sediments from the water. The second and third filters are Claryum filters that remove chlorine taste and odor from the water. The price of The Aquasana 3-stage filter can range from $150 to $200. Filters and batteries must be changed twice a year, making this the only ongoing cost for the filtering system.
The Aquasana 3-stage filter is made from a variety of materials. The casing is made from metal with a brushed nickel finish. The dedicated faucet is made from steel, ensuring its durability. The filters have an activated carbon design that will capture impurities and neutralize unpleasant tastes and smells.
The average lifespan of the Aquasana 3-stage filter as a whole depends on maintenance. It may last for many years, provided the filters are changed regularly. All filters need to be replaced after 6 months of use at most – or after 600 gallons of water, depending on the household water use. Batteries also last only 6 months, after which they need to be replaced.
Maintenance of the Aquasana 3-stage filter is easy to undergo. To ensure its proper functioning, filters must be replaced after 600 gallons of water passed through them. During maintenance, conduct a check to make sure that the batteries are also working. Without batteries, the water will pass through the system without it being filtered. The system will send an alert when it is time for the filters to be replaced.
The Aquasana 3-stage filter can remove 99% of the common contaminants up to 0.5 microns, as well as 97% of chloramines and chlorine. At the same time, it has the ability to retain healthy minerals from the water, including magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
Providing half a gallon of water per minute, the Aquasana 3-stage water filter has a high flow rate. It is a better alternative to drip filters, as there is barely any waiting time for clear water. It can provide around 22 gallons of water per day, which is more than enough for the average household.
The Aquasana 3-stage water filter has the following advantages:
- The package comes with all installation pieces included and an instructions manual. There is no need for a plumber.
- The Aquasana 3-stage water filter leads to zero water waste. This makes it environmentally friendly while lowering the bills.
- The Aquasana 3-stage water filter can efficiently remove 97% of chloramines and multiple contaminants. It also retains the minerals. This will improve the overall taste of the water.
The Aquasana 3-stage water filter has the following downsides:
- The capacity of the Aquasana 3-stage water filter is only 600 gallons of water. If a lot of water is used, the filters will have to be replaced more frequently.
- Batteries of the Aquasana 3-stage water filter need to be changed as well. Otherwise, they will compromise the efficiency of the filter.
3. Frizzlife Under-Sink Filter System
The Frizlife under-sink water filtering system has the ability to remove taste-causing sediments from the water, improving the taste of municipal tap water. It is also compatible with refrigerators and ice makers. Frizzlife has been on the market for many years, which allowed the brand to gain a lot of popularity. Their filtering technology focuses on removing harmful sediments from the water while leaving the minerals in the water. Their purpose is to leave the water fresh as if it came from a spring.
The Frizlife under-sink water filter is unique due to its ease of installation and maintenance. It only takes about 10 minutes to install the units and less than 3 minutes to replace the cartridge. The Frizzlife filter also has an auto shut-off design that disconnects the water from the filter. This way, users do not have to disconnect the water source themselves when they are replacing the cartridges.
The price range for the Frizzlife under-sink filter is between $70 and $90. This places the system within the mid-range category. Filter replacements are easy to come across and are also in the mid-range price category. This makes the system installation and maintenance affordable and a good choice for average-budget households.
The water filtering system from Frizzlife is made from a variety of materials. It includes carbon, PP, water hoses made from brass, and brass converter fittings. It also features durable lead-removal filter cartridges. The system is sturdy and expected to last several years.
The filters of the Frizlife last for 6 months before requiring a change. This depends on the quality of the water. The system as a whole is expected to last at least 10 years, with the proper maintenance.
Maintenance of the Frizlife under-sink water filter is quick and straightforward. The water shuts off automatically when users remove the cartridge. This means they do not have to interrupt the waters themselves. As a result, maintenance time is reduced.
The Frizlife under-sink water filter has 0.5-micron pores. This means that contaminants of that size or larger are removed from the water. The Frizzlife filter will remove 99.99% of bad taste and odors. This includes the ones caused by lead and chlorine.
The Frizzlife under-sink system has a high flow rate of 2 gallons per minute at 40 PSI. This flow rate is higher compared to other similar water filtering systems from the competition. It is a good option for filling a glass of water, cooking, and washing fruits and vegetables.
The advantages of the Frizzlife under-sink system are:
- Installation of the Frizlife under-sink water filtering is very easy to do. The instructions manual is clear, and the entire process takes 10 minutes at most.
- The materials of the Frizlife under-sink water filtering are of very high quality. It does not use plastic tubing.
- Filters last for a very long time. Sometimes, they may last up to 2 years.
The disadvantages of the Frizzlife under-sink system include:
- The casing may occasionally start to leak. It may need frequent tightening.
- The Frizlife under-sink water filtering does not have a clear flow meter. Users do not know how many gallons of water it cleans.
4. CuZn UC-200 Under-Sink Water Filter
The CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter removes impurities that cause unpleasant taste and odor in the tap water, including chloramine disinfectant. CuZn offers a wide range of purification devices, from air purifiers to water filters. They are popular in the cities of the United States, as their filters can remove the chlorine taste and odors from the waters. The brand is highly rated for the coconut shell carbon filters it uses to improve the quality.
The CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter is different from other models from the competition due to its bacteriostatic properties. It is unlike other carbon-only filters, as it is resistant to the growth of mold and bacteria. This ensures easy maintenance and clean water for a longer time. It also lasts longer than your average filter.
The CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter costs between $100 and $200. Users do not have to buy any replacement cartridges, which lowers the investment costs. The purchase price is higher, but in the long run, the cost is near zero.
The CuZn UC-200 water filter uses NSF-approved materials, a mix between plastic and stainless steel. The connection hose is also made from stainless steel, ensuring increased durability. For the filters, it uses an activated carbon shell filter to remove contaminants and special KDF-55 filtration media to prevent the growth of bacteria.
The CuZn filter system is expected to last 5 years, with proper maintenance. It comes with a 5-year warranty to ensure its durability. The cartridge itself lasts for 5 years, so users will not have to buy replacement cartridges. Once the period passes, users will need to buy a new system to replace the old one.
Maintenance of The CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter is extremely easy, in the sense that none is needed. Users will have to replace the system every few years. Unless too much gunk gathers on the filter from the sink, it will not need other maintenance and cleaning aside from the occasional dusting.
The CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter features a 3-stage filtration system that selectively purifies the water. It is able to reduce a variety of contaminants, including chlorine, pesticides, algae, mold, and other similar contaminants. It does not remove TDS, and the company recommends installing a reverse osmosis system if that is the goal.
The CuZn under-sink filter features a flow rate of 2 GPM. Its total capacity is 50,000 gallons of water. Once this quantity of water has passed through the system, it is recommended to replace the unit even if 5 years haven’t passed.
The advantages of the CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter include:
- The system itself is the filter. This means users do not have to replace cartridges every 6 months.
- The CuZn UC-200 can last up to 5 years. This durability is ensured by the warranty.
- The CuZn UC-200 is very easy to install. The process takes 10 minutes at most.
- The customer support of the company CuZn is very prompt. They reach out whenever they see that there is a problem with one of their products.
The main disadvantage of the CuZn UC-200 under-sink water filter is:
- The CuZn UC-200 as a whole lasts for 5 years at most. Even with good maintenance, it needs total replacement after 5 years.
5. A.O. Smith AO-US-200
The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 is a dual-stage carbon block filter for under-sink installation. It offers point-of-use filtered water for users, regardless of the placement of their sink. It also features a patented technology to ensure the water is odor and taste-free. A.O. Smith is a reliable brand. Its products have multiple certifications, including ANSI and NSF. It is also the owner of the Aquasana brand, leveraging expertise while keeping the brand name. Due to its technology, the brand gets plenty of positive feedback.
The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 is unique and sought after due to its carbon block purification method that removes taste and odor. It can also filter water while not creating wastewater. This makes the A.O. Smith filter an eco-friendly option that also helps the household budget.
At around $140, the A.O. Smith AO-US-200 filter is not the most affordable option. Ongoing costs are low, as the only requirement is to replace the filters every six months. The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 is a good option for low-budget households, as it removes the need to buy bottled water.
The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 filter is made from steel, durable plastic, and carbon compounds. This makes it durable, reliable, and easy to clean. The faucet is made from quality nickel, with a design that will fit most kitchens. Steel connections and strong ABS plastic tubes are provided as well.
The lifespan of the A.O. Smith AO-US-200 depends on the quality of the water. On average, filters last through 500 gallons of water. A small two-person household on municipal water will have to replace the filters every 6 months. If the household is bigger and the water is highly contaminated, frequent replacements will be required.
Maintenance for the A.O. Smith filter is easy, as the filter does not have to be taken apart and cleaned. The only action needed is the replacement of the filters. The filter cartridges are easy to remove and add back, the whole process taking a few seconds.
The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 under-sink water filter takes the water through a two-stage filtration system. This will remove contaminants up to 0.01 microns, including chlorine. The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 will remove odor and taste caused by bacteria and heavy metals, improving the taste of the water.
The A.O. Smith under-sink filter can filter up to 0.50 gallons of water per minute. This ensures a healthy water flow. Users will not have to wait too long in order to fill a glass of water. The filters have a capacity of 500 gallons of water before they have to be replaced.
The advantages of the A.O. Smith AO-US-200 include:
- The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 can produce 0.50 gallons of water per minute. This ensures quick access to filtered water.
- The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 creates no wastewater. This makes it an environmentally friendly product.
- The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 features multiple certifications. This includes ANSI and NSF certification.
The A.O. Smith AO-US-200 under-sink filter has the following downsides:
- 50 gallons of water is a small capacity compared to other units. It may need frequent replacements.
- A.O. Smith AO-US-200 does not remove TDS from the water
6. Clearly Filtered Under-Sink Filtration System
The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system can remove sediments and similar impurities, along with contaminants bigger than 0.5 microns. This includes chlorine and other odor-causing chemicals. The Clearly Filtered brand is very popular for its 3-stage filtration system. This system is to be connected to an existent tap line, and it will filter out the water coming from the tap. Clearly Filtered has been around for many years now, so it enjoys a good reputation along with the durability of its products.
The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system is unique because it has a very simple installation. Users do not have to hire a plumber. Installation takes a little above 2 minutes. All that is needed is a screwdriver and a wrench. The installation is non-permanent and may be connected to your existing cold-water line.
The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system costs $500 on their main page, so this is a high-end product. When making the purchase, one also needs to consider the long-term costs. The three-filter cartridges need to be replaced regularly, and the cost of the replacement filters is $400. These filters need to be changed every 12 months for the water to remain clean.
Materials of the Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system are mostly plastic and metal – with the tubes made from tough stainless steel. The system is discrete and slim, and it takes only a small space. This allows users to install it even in a small apartment, where every centimeter of storage is important.
The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system may last for years. The system will continue to run as long as proper maintenance is provided. After 12 months, the filter cartridges need to be replaced with new ones. The tubes are expected to last for a long time, but homeowners are also recommended to check them regularly for leaks. If tightening the tubes does not work, full replacement is recommended.
Maintenance of the Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system is straightforward. The only action required is to replace the cartridges every 12 months. If the water is heavily contaminated, then users may have to replace the cartridges more frequently.
The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system can remove 98.9% of the lead and 90.7% of the fluoride. The system does not remove the natural nutrients and minerals naturally found in the water. If that is the purpose, the company recommends using a reverse osmosis system as well.
The filter can handle a total of 2,000 gallons of water, after which total replacement of the cartridges is recommended. It can offer its users up to half a gallon of water per minute, which is a sufficient quantity for the average household.
The benefits of the Clearly Filtered under-sink filtration system include:
- The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system is installed in only a couple of minutes. The only tools necessary are a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.
- The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system has a small footprint. This leaves space underneath the sink, which people may use for other household items.
- The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system is very efficient. The resulting water is clean and tastes good.
The drawbacks associated with the Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system are:
- At $500, the price is very high in comparison to other products.
- The Clearly Filtered under-sink water filtration system does not remove calcium from the water and is not recommended for well water. The brand recommends installing a pre-filter and, upon necessity, a reverse osmosis system.
7. Epic Smart Shield
The Epic Smart Shield is an under-sink water filter that uses smart technology to remove contaminants from the water. Its purpose is to act as a shield and to remove more than 70 types of contaminants from the water. The brand is popular for the fact that it creates eco-friendly products. There is almost no water waste involved, and the product is fully replaceable and recyclable. Since Epic creates BPA-free products, they can be recycled alongside hard-to-recycle products.
The Epic Smart Shield is unique, due to the fact that it uses a solid carbon block design. This is different from other products that use granular carbon. Solid carbon has a better ability at removing contaminants from the water. Natural minerals remain in the water as the contaminants are filtered out.
The price for the Epic Smart Shıeld is around $130. The filter is made from fully recyclable materials. The casing is made from BPA-free plastic, but the type that is not prone to breakage. With the proper maintenance, it is expected that this system will last for a fairly long time.
The lifespan of the Epic Smart Shield as a whole is more than 10 years. This only applies to the “skeleton” of the unit. The filter cartridges, which are the most important, can last around 12 months. This also depends on how heavily the filter is used. For light use (i.e., 1 person in the household), it’s enough to change the filters every 12-14 months. For heavy use (larger families), one must change the filters every 9 to 12 months.
Maintenance of the Epic Smart Shield is straightforward. There is no tank to clean, and the only requirement is to change the filters when they are past their date. Unless heavy dripping occurs on the filters, there is no need to surface clean them either.
The Epic Smart filter is capable of removing 99.9% of contaminants from tap water. It can remove contaminants such as chloramine, e.coli, microplastics, glyphosate, Uranium, and PFOA. At the same time, the “Epic Intelligence” technology maintains healthy minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
The Epic Smart filtering system allows people to enjoy around 651 gallons of water per cartridge. This will depend on the quality of the water. If the water is relatively clean, to begin with, the cartridge may last for a longer time. This offers the opportunity for more clean, good-tasting water.
The Epic Smart Shield has the following advantages:
- The Epic Smart Shield is made from BPA-free plastic, making it fully recyclable.
- The Epic Smart Shield removes contaminants such as e.coli, which is not very common in filters of the type.
- Filters of the Epic Smart Shield last for a very long time. If used by regular households, filters may be used for up to a year.
The Epic Smart Shield has the following disadvantages:
- Users need to be careful with the installation. Unless turned correctly, the Epic Smart Shield may begin to leak.
- The material does not look very durable.
8. Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Under-Sink Water Filter System
Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System can filter out the sediments and remove organic contaminants from the water. Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is ideal for homes with contaminated water that lack counter space. Waterdrop is a leading water filter brand in the United States, with its headquarters in California. With more than 500 patents for filters, millions of people throughout Canada and the United States had these types of filters installed in their homes.
Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is unique because it looks and works like a reverse osmosis system, but it does not feature a reverse osmosis membrane. This reduced the total cost by 2/3 of the price. Since it does not have a reverse osmosis membrane either, there is also not as much wastewater.
At around $200, the Waterdrop Ultra-filtration system is considered a high-end option. The running costs are low, and the PP filters last between 6 and 12 months. The frequency of replacement will depend on the quality of the water. The UF filter only needs replacement every 24 months, reducing the costs.
The casing of the Waterdrop 3-stage ultrafiltration system is made from brushed nickel, ensuring durability. The included faucet is made of steel. The plastic items in the casing are also solid and not prone to breakage. The material is bacteria-resistant, ensuring that the water remains clear. Filters are made with activated carbon technology, which will trap and remove the bacteria from the water.
The lifespan of the Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is believed to be at least 5 years. With proper maintenance, it can last up to more than 10 years. Compared to other similar products, the filters have a longer life expectancy. The Waterdrop 3-stage filter has a 2-year warranty, which adds to the durability of the product.
Maintenance of the Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is done by replacing the filters upon their recommended date (6 months for PP filter, 12 months for CT filter, and 24 months for UF filter). Moreover, the housing will require an occasional wipe every few months.
The filtration power of the Waterdrop under-sink filter is very powerful, with the ability to remove 99.99% bacteria as small as 0.09 microns. The ultrafiltration membrane will remove sediments and contaminants that cause odor and bad taste. This includes chloramine, heavy metal, and fluoride. The indicator will also notify users when it is time to change the filters.
The Waterdrop under-sink 3-stage filtration system can offer 0.5 gallons of water per minute. This makes the filter an optimal choice for small to medium households. It takes a couple of seconds until a glass of filtered water is ready.
The advantages of the Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System are:
- Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is compact and saves space. This allows users to maximize the space they have underneath the sink.
- Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is very easy to install. The instructions manual is clear and may be followed by anyone.
- Maintenance of Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is straightforward. All that needs to be done is to replace the filters.
- The filters have a long lifespan. The UF filter can be kept for an average of 10 years.
The Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System has the following disadvantages:
- Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System does not have an NSF certification.
- The reverse osmosis ability of the Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System is not the same as the other products that they offer.
- The flow rate of the Waterdrop 3-Stage Ultrafiltration Under-Sink Water Filter System dips over time. This was reported by several customers that used the product.
9. Filtrete Under-Sink Water Filtration System
The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system uses a quick yet advanced technology to deliver filtered water from the tap. It features a quick-change design, one that only needs people to make one-quarter of a turn in order to change the cartridge. Filtrete creates water filtering products that are usually very easy to install. They involve no mess, and instructions were made very clear for the user to understand. They advertise that the only things required to make the installation is a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.
The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is special compared to other filters because it doesn’t even need a full turn to remove. No complicated unscrewing is necessary either. All that must be done is to turn it a quarter of the way and remove it. Add the new cartridge the same way, and everything will be done.
At around $50, the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is considered to be a budget model. Filter replacements are not expensive, which will allow people to keep the running costs low. Batteries are not required, so the overall costs will remain at a minimum. Buyers will not need to buy a new faucet, as it uses the existing faucet.
The materials of the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system are simple, yet durable. The housing is made from durable plastic, and some essential parts are made from steel. This ensures that the unit as a whole lasts for a longer time.
The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is expected to last for at least five years. The filters are expected to last for 6 months at most if used on municipal water. If the household is bigger than the standard or if the water is highly contaminated, the filters need frequent changing.
Maintenance of the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is easy, due to the ¼ turn. It is very easy to remove the old filters and install new ones. The process does not take longer than one or two minutes. The under-sink system does not use a tank, which makes cleaning easier. The system will require occasional wiping to remove gunk and dust gathering over the surface.
The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system features a healthy filtration level of 0.5 microns. This removes several contaminants from the water, including sand, soil, rust, and a variety of other sediments. The filtering system may also remove microbial cysts along with chlorine smell and taste. It will significantly improve the color of the water.
The flow rate of the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system depends on the quality of the water. For municipal water, it can offer as much as 1.5 gallons per minute. Highly contaminated water may reduce the water flow, bringing it to 0.5 gallons per minute. The flow rate will also reduce itself with time, based on the state of the filter.
The Filtrete water filtration system has the following advantages:
- The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is very easy to install. At most, the initial installation takes an average of 10 minutes
- Maintenance of the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is fast to perform. The cartridges are quick to remove and replace.
- Water flow can reach as high as 1.5 GPM. This is higher than most under-sink water filters
The Filtrete water filtering system also has several disadvantages:
- The flow rate of the Filtrette under-sink water filtration system weakens after time. It will have 1/3 its regular flow rate by the time the filter needs to be changed.
- The Filtrette under-sink water filtration system is only recommended for municipal water. The filters may not handle well water.
10. APEC WFS-1000
The APEC WFS-1000 is a super capacity filter that takes tap water through three different stages of filtration. This way, it can remove chlorine from water, along with the taste and odors present in the water. APEC Water Systems as a brand made a significant name for itself. It has 20 years of experience, during which they created heavy-duty filters that last a long time. It is highly popular for its fast water flow and its earth-friendly design. Its under-the-counter water filters lead to no wastewater, and the smaller-pored filters have a water-saving technology that reduces the amount of wastewater.
The APEC WFS-1000 is unique because its filters have a super capacity design. Most filters need to be replaced every 6 to 12 months. The APEC WFS-1000 filter can last more than that. This improves the maintenance of the filter and reduces the overall ongoing costs for the product.
The APEC WFS-1000 costs $139, with a set of replacement cartridges costing around $100. This places it in the category of middle-range filters. Considering the filtering ability, the product offers a fair amount of value for the price. People need to keep in mind that the running cost involves the yearly replacement of the cartridges as well.
The APEC WFS-1000 is made from high-capacity polypropylene that can withstand the test of time. The second and third filters are made from premium extruded carbon blocks that will remove the contaminants and odors from the water. The company advertises supreme technology that cannot be copied, a feature that is also available for the materials of the product.
The APEC under-the-counter water filter has a lifespan that exceeds most other filters from the competition. The filters typically last more than one year, without any changes in the performance as time passes. It is recommended that the filters are checked every year, to see whether the cartridges need replacing or not. The installed system as a whole can last up to several years, with the appropriate maintenance.
Maintenance of the APEC WFS-1000 is very easy to do. The only major requirement is to replace the cartridges every year, or when the filters appear to be full. It is also recommended to occasionally check the pipes and connections for leaks and remove the dust from the unit.
The APEC WFS-1000 can eliminate a variety of contaminants such as chlorine or metals from the water. This will remove odors and unpleasant tastes from the water. It will also maintain the beneficial minerals in the water, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Alkalinity is not affected.
The APEC WFS-1000 filter can produce around 2,500 gallons of filtered water over the full course of the cartridge life. It flows at 0.75 gallons per minute, which ensures users have immediate access to clean water. The waiting time is reduced significantly.
The APEC WFS-1000 under-sink filter has the following advantages:
- The filter lasts for a long time. It may be used for more than 12 months, which is more than the average filter.
- The APEC WFS-1000 produces no wastewater. This will keep the water bills down.
- Water flow is fast, giving you immediate access to clean water.
The APEC WFS-1000 under-sink water filter has the following disadvantages:
- The APEC WFS-1000 does not remove TDS from the water.
- Installation of the APEC WFS-1000 is not especially difficult, but it does involve a fair amount of effort.
What Should I Look for in an Under-sink Water Filter?
When looking for an under-sink water filter, the following features should be kept in mind:
- Quality Faucet: A good under-sink water filtration system will also come with a faucet. A good brand will offer a faucet that is lead-free and features a filter as well. This will ensure that the water that was previously purified will not end up being contaminated once again.
- Quality of the Components: Filters are for everyday use, which is why the material and quality of the components are highly important. Steel and metal are the most durable options, but plastic is also a good choice if it is qualitative. Customer reviews should provide good information in regard to the quality.
- Unique Points: Each water filter has something that differentiates it from the competition. For some, it can be antibacterial coatings and for others, it can be a special pattern. Before deciding on a filter to buy, find what makes it unique.
- Ease of Installation: Under the sink water filters are usually easy to install, but it all depends on the brand and product. Some may be installed in 10 minutes, others in 30 minutes. Find out whether the filter is easy to install and has an easy-to-understand instructions manual.
- Maintenance: Maintenance for under-the-counter water filters is typically simple. It only involves a bi-yearly change of the filters at most and the occasional wiping. Find out if there are other maintenance steps involved before buying an under-the-sink water filter.
- Filter Life: Filters may have different lives depending on the brand and the quality. Some brands may need a replacement after 6 months and others might last for 2 years. This often depends on the quality of the water, which is why it is important to associate the quality of the water with the average life expectancy of the filter.
- Wastewater Ratio: Water filters have a wastewater ratio that users need to be careful about. For example, a reverse osmosis system may waste more water, due to the small pore size of the filter. But certain technologies allow for little water to be wasted during the process. Users need to choose a system that wastes as little water as possible.
- Healthy Water Flow: Water flow is also important, as it determines how fast the user may get access to clean water. Some filtering systems provide half a gallon of clean water and others provide as much as 2 gallons. Bigger households should opt for filters that can produce higher quantities of water per minute.
- Cost: Under-sink water filters should be cost-competitive. The overall price of the filter should not be too high, and the price for filter replacements should be accessible as well. Unless they have something extra-special compared to other products, the overall cost should not be too high.
- Certifications: For under-sink water filtration systems to be considered reliable, they need to be certified. Multiple certifications prove the quality of the water, including Water Quality Association, ANSI, NSF, and many others. The more certifications a water filter has, the better.
What Are the Differences between Under-Sink and Countertop Water Filters?
To determine the differences between under-sink and countertop water filters, one needs to understand what countertop water filters are. As the name suggests, countertop water filters are installed on the countertop, in plain view. They are not hidden under the sink, like an under-sink filter.
- Space-Saving: Countertop water filters are more compact and were designed to save space under the counter. Even so, they still take counter space, as opposed to under-sink filters that leave the counter space free but take space under the sink.
- Accessibility: Under-sink filters are often difficult to access. Homeowners usually place other household items underneath the sink as well. This means that when maintenance is required, owners will have to bypass all the items underneath the sink. Since countertop filters are easier to access, their maintenance is also straightforward.
- Installation: Under-sink filters often have to be connected to the water supply line. This makes their installation slightly more complicated. A countertop filter may only need to be connected to the power line, which makes the installation much easier.
- Water Flow: Countertop water filters have fewer complex systems and often filter the water from a water tank. This means that their speed of filtration is often lower as compared to an under-sink water filtration system. Since they are smaller, they also do not have a high-water capacity.
- Price: Under the sink filters are more complex, making them the more expensive option. Countertop water filters are more affordable, as they lack the complexity and features brought by under-sink water filters.
Under-Sink Filter Installation and Maintenance
The installation steps for under-sink water filters are:
- Turn Off Water Supply: Turn off the water supply to prevent water spillage around the sink. Once the supply has been turned off, turn on the faucet of the sink in order to release the remaining pressure.
- Put the Filter Together: Before starting, put the pieces of the filter together. In the majority of the cases, all the parts will arrive pre-assembled. As a result, the only thing users have to do is to prepare the location for the installation.
- Attach the Water Filter: Take the filtration system and attach it to the cold-water line. Take the cold-water supply line and put on the flexing tubes, securing them to the pipe. There should be several fittings included. The other plastic tube side needs to be attached to the pressure limit valve. Connect to the inlet of the water filtering system as well.
- Install the Faucet (Optional): If needed, this is when people should install the faucet. Run your water line through the faucet by using a plastic tube. The other end should go into the filter. If a separate faucet is not used, connect to the main water pipe that goes to the faucet. Make sure the filter is installed in the right direction (the instructions should show this).
- Secure the Water Filter: After the filter is installed, secure it in place. Ideally, it should stay on the wall so that it does not get tipped over.
- Turn on the Water Supply: After fitting the filter, turn on the water supply. Check to see if there are any leaks. If leaks are spotted, turn the water supply back off and tighten the filter’s fittings. Once the water supply is back on, allow for some water to pass through the system first. This will provide an initial flush.
The maintenance steps for under-sink water filters are:
- Change the water filters when specified. Depending on the brand, filters may need to be replaced once every 6 to 12 months.
- Check the filters once every 2-3 months. Depending on the quality of the water, they may need to be replaced more frequently than specified.
- Sanitize the storage water tanks, even if they have an antibacterial coating.
- When necessary, replace the parts that are malfunctioning in an under-sink water filter.
- For complex processes, people should hire a professional to not damage the filter.
How to Clean an Under-Sink Water Filter?
Clean and replace the under-sink water filter as per the instructions in the book. Different water filter brands have different sanitizing methods. In some cases, a simple wipe is enough. In other cases, it is necessary to take the whole unit apart and sanitize it.
The filter housing may be cleaned using warm water with mild soap. This will get rid of the buildup of sediments. Do not get water close to the electrical parts, and make sure that the water is damp, not entirely wet.
Unless the filters are reusable, they should be changed once every 6 months. Doing so is often easy. The only action required is to pull the old one out and to click the new one back into place.
Advantages of Under-Sink Systems
An under-sink system has the following advantages:
- Saves Space: Under-sink systems can save space in a household. It uses the space underneath the sink that is most often left unused. Under-sink water filters are also often small. This means there should be enough space left for other items to be stored under the sink.
- Easy to Install: An under-sink water filter may need some minimal plumbing skills, but not many. Compared to other filters, they are easy to install. As long as the instructions on the manual are followed carefully, the process should take under 30 minutes.
- Cost Efficient: Compared to other filtering systems, under-sink systems are among the most affordable options. The initial purchase costs are low, and users do not have to worry about high running costs either.
- Offers Variety: Since under-sink systems are common, they also offer variety. This allows homeowners to choose between multiple options. It is a good advantage for those dealing with different types of contaminants in the water.
- Easily Maintained: Under-sink water filters are not usually connected to tanks. This makes their maintenance easy. The only thing users have to do is to pop out the old filter and put the new one in place. The process only takes a few minutes.
Disadvantages of Under-Sink Systems
The disadvantages of an under-sink water filter are:
- Needs a Filter Tap: Standard under-sink water filters will generally require a filter tap. The only exceptions to this are inline water filters. Some under-sink water filters come with their own taps but very often are of low quality. Users have to buy a filter tap for their sink.
- Filters Just in One Point: An under-sink system is not a whole house water filter. This means it only offers point-of-use filtered water. If it is installed under the kitchen sink, then only the water coming from that sink will be filtered. The other taps in the house will not be filtered.
- Needs Basic Plumbing Skills: Under-sink water filters are easy to install but need basic plumbing skills. Homeowners who never installed a filter before may need to hire a plumber if they are not confident in their skills.
What Are the Similar Water Filters to Under-Sink Water Filters?
Similar water filtration systems for under-sink water filters include:
- Countertop Filters: Countertop water filters are similar to under-sink water filters because they offer point-of-use filtered water. Like under-sink water filters, these are also typically installed on the water line directly, giving unlimited access to freshwater. Depending on the type, they may also come in tank models, which will store the filtered water into built-in reservoirs.
- Faucet Filters: Faucet water filters offer filtered water straight from the faucet, like an under-sink filter. The difference is that while an under-sink filter is secured to a single faucet, faucet filters can be moved wherever they are needed. It may take a few moments to get a glass of water, but they can be set on a pass-through setting. Plus, like the under-sink systems, they get unlimited water access. This is because faucet filters do not use water tanks either.
- Whole House Water Filters: The technology of whole house water filters is the same as for under-sink water filters. The difference between the two is that whole house water filters operate on a larger scale. Whole house water filters are connected to the main water line of the house, delivering clean water to every connected tap.
2 thoughts on “Best Under-Sink Water Filters in 2021”
I really appreciate the buying guide you put together for home water filters. It is great advice to test your water before buying to determine the level of contaminants you would need filtered out. The area I live in is not known for having great tap water, and we also have old pipes in our house, so I bet there are a lot of contaminants. That’s why I’m looking into getting a filter.
this article was so helpful and consolidated all the research i have been trying to do across multiple websites. thank you!