- 1 Best Insulated Water Bottles – (Newest Models)
- 1.1 1. ClearlyFiltered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Bottle
- 1.2 2. Epic Water Vostok
- 1.3 3. Hydro Flask Water Bottle
- 1.4 4. Omorc Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
- 1.5 5. Hydro Cell Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- 1.6 6. Healthy Human Water Bottle
- 1.7 7. Simple Modern Water Bottle
- 1.8 8. The Coldest Water Bottle
- 1.9 9. Coleman FreeFlow Water Bottle
- 1.10 10. Mira Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- 1.11 11. Klean Kanteen Classic Water Bottle
- 1.12 12. Hiwill Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle
- 2 The History of Insulated Vacuum Bottle
- 3 How do Vacuum Insulated Flasks Work?
- 4 Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Vacuum Insulated Water Bottles
- 5 Is Stainless Steel Water Bottle Better than Plastic?
- 6 Glass vs. Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- 7 What Water Bottle Keeps Water the Coldest?
- 8 What is the Best Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle?
- 9 Cleaning and Maintenance for an Insulated Flask
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions about Insulated Water Bottles
- 11 Best Insulated Water Bottles Comparison Chart
- 12 Wrap up
What’s better than an eco-friendly reusable water bottle? One that keeps your water cold and fresh throughout the day, of course! If you’re in need of such a product, then you’ve come to the right place. This guide is about insulated vessels. Hopefully, by its end, you’ll know which the best-insulated water bottle for you is.
What is more, we also have ten insulated water bottle reviews for you to check out. Continue reading this article and you’ll learn about the history of vacuum flasks, their benefits, and frequently asked questions.
ClearlyFiltered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Bottle
|View On Clearly|
Epic Water Vostok
|View On Epic|
Hydro Flask Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Omorc Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Hydro Cell Stainless Steel Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Healthy Human Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Best Insulated Water Bottles – (Newest Models)
These reviews are in no particular order. So, read on, and you’ll get a better idea about certain brands and the pros and cons of the following products.
1. ClearlyFiltered Insulated Stainless Steel Filtered Bottle
This bottle is among the most excellent professional-grade units you will be able to find out there. Effectiveness is what the product is all about, as it will rid you of approximately 99.9% contaminants. What we loved about it is that thanks to the design, it can be used anywhere regardless of your surroundings.
The capacity of 20 oz is just fine as it allows you to carry the unit with you when you are hiking or biking. Putting ice inside isn’t a problem because the opening is wide enough. Still, cleaning the mouthpiece is a piece of cake as all you need is a sponge or piece of cloth.
The insulation is what you are probably really after. Well, you will be happy to find out that your water will remain cold for 24 hours in there. Regardless of the temperature difference between what’s inside the bottle and the outside environment, the container won’t sweat.
- Double-walled 18/8 stainless steel construction
- Lifetime warranty
- There is no cover for the mouthpiece (suction straw)
2. Epic Water Vostok
This is an exciting offer by Epic Water because they give us not only a top-notch water bottle but also a filter. So, let’s see what the container has to offer.
This is a vessel with double walls, and it is made of pro-grade stainless steel. The manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty on it, guaranteeing it will not wear out. The size is pretty generous (34 oz), and some people even see it as a drawback because it may not fit bike holders or may be too big to carry around. The opening is wide enough for ice to go through.
The filter that you get here is the well-known urban filter by Epic Water. It will rid you of 99.99% of water contaminants in tap water and will do so faithfully for 75 gallons. This is the equivalent of more than 550 plastic bottles. The whole package is made in the USA under strict supervision and against NSF/ANSI standards.
- The plastic components are BPA-free.
- You get a lifetime warranty
- Not only a sports bottle but also a filter one
- The Easy Sip Lid features a silicone mouthpiece
- No obvious disadvantages
3. Hydro Flask Water Bottle
This 32 oz. water bottle from Hydro Flask is an upgrade on an older model. The unit is made from 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel and a BPA-free plastic lid. Additionally, the lid has honeycomb insulation inside of it, which adds extra protection.
What this flask can do is keep beverages cold up to 24h and hot up to 12h with the lid on. Also, because this is a double-walled product, its exterior doesn’t condensate.
The mouth of this bottle is wide and comfortable for drinking and filling. You can even put ice cubes in the flask. This model doesn’t fit most cup holders because it’s wider than a standard bottle.
It is an original Hydro Flask product. There are two logos available – with or without the trademark symbol, so don’t let the difference confuse you. However, the unit is a bit pricey. If you can find a hydro flask sale and get a discount, it will be more than worth it.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Eleven bottle colors are available, and so anyone can find one they like.
- Dishwasher safe.
- The lid has an easy to hold handle.
- The new curved bottom can be dented easily.
4. Omorc Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
Here is a 21 oz. stainless steel water bottle from OMORC. It’s designed as a sports product and comes with a portable cup holder with a long strap. The unique design of the product is a hexagonal shape that is rarely chosen for a bottle. Black and dark blue are the only two color options.
The inside of this flask is 316 stainless steel. That ensures the interior will not rust, corrode, or oxidize. On the outside, the container is powder-coated, and that makes it non-slippery to hold.
This product is vacuum insulated and double-walled with a copper-coated layer for extra temperature protection. All of these features add up to holding cold water for 48h and hot for 24h. However, it’s recommended not to store carbonated drinks in this flask because they can damage its steel inside.
- Dishwasher safe bottle and lid.
- It comes with a sturdy cup holder.
- The package includes a cleaning brush.
- This container fits a standard cup holder.
- No noticeable disadvantages.
5. Hydro Cell Stainless Steel Water Bottle
These Hydro Cell water bottles are double-walled and have a thermo-lock technology for additional protection. The outside surface is slip-resistant. They keep beverages cold up to 12 hours and hot to about 6. Four sizes of this product are available – 18 oz, 24 oz, 32 oz, and a 40 oz. Unfortunately, the two biggest sizes do not fit in cup holders.
In addition to the stainless steel lid, there’s a bonus – a different cap depending on the size of the flask. The thirty-two and forty-ounce bottles come with an additional straw lid, which is made from BPA-free plastic. However, the eighteen and twenty-four-ounce containers come with coffee lids with flip spouts, also made from BPA-free plastic. You can purchase replacement lids of both types separately in case yours break or you lose them.
Only the standard lid has a handle and you can only fit one finger through it. When full, the 32 or 40-ounce ones are too heavy for only one finger.
- The standard lid is connected to the flask, so you can’t lose it.
- You can put a carabiner through the loop on the lid.
- Available in 12 colors.
- These flasks have a lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects.
- It should only be hand-washed because dishwashers can damage the powder coating.
6. Healthy Human Water Bottle
Healthy Human presents us with a classic stainless steel water bottle. The design is simple, but there are a lot of color choices. Also, there are several sizes of the product. It’s available in 16 oz, 21 oz, 32 oz, 40 oz. All of them come with a one-size-fits-all standard twisting lid, but straw and flip-top caps are sold separately.
The 32 and 40-ounce units have the same base width of 3,5 inches and can fit only in some cup holders. On the exterior side, some bottles have powder coating with a matte finish, while others have a water-transfer design. With a mouth opening of 1,75 inches, it’s fairly easy to clean the flask on the inside and to add ice cubes.
- There’s a lifetime warranty on the lids and a one-year guarantee for manufacturer defects on the materials.
- The product is tested and is FDA-approved.
- 33 available color options.
- It’s designed with a three-finger lid carrier making even the full 40-ounce one feel lightweight.
- A free carabiner comes with the bottle.
- The flask isn’t dishwasher-safe since the vacuum insulation can be damaged and that voids the warranty.
Simple Modern Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
The Coldest Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Coleman FreeFlow Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Mira Stainless Steel Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Klean Kanteen Classic Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Hiwill Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
7. Simple Modern Water Bottle
These stylish water bottles from Simple Modern keep water cold up to 36 hours and hot up to 14h. You can choose between four sizes – 9 oz, 17 oz, 25 oz, and a 34-ounce. The two smallest sizes have 1.3-inch mouth opening and same size lid. Also, the two larger sizes have equal 1.4-inch mouths and identical caps.
Cleaning them in the dishwasher isn’t recommended. Like most insulated flasks, it’s safer to wash these by hand. The exterior of the lid is stainless steel, but the inside is sturdy plastic and a rubber gasket.
Overall, the flasks work well, and even when left in direct sunlight, the water temperature doesn’t change. The capacity options are great for every member of the family. Keep in mind that the price changes based on the color and size you choose when making a purchase.
- Simple Modern donates 10% of their profit.
- The lid is also insulated.
- There are 44 available colors for this product.
- The two largest sizes do not fit standard cup holders.
- Replacement caps aren’t available. If you lose it or it breaks, you have to buy a new bottle.
8. The Coldest Water Bottle
Coldest Water Company offers a product that is very lightweight. There are two capacities – 32 and 64 ounces. This bottle is advertised as perfect for hikers and sports because of the large quantity of water it holds. However, the lid isn’t a sports one. It’s a standard twisting lid, and you can buy a straw lid separately.
This flask can keep hot liquids for a long time, but its superpower is keeping them cold. It can keep cold water for up to 36 hours and keeps ice for over 24 hours.
You can choose between five colors for each bottle size. Cleaning should be done by hand because the dishwashers can damage the vacuum insulation.
- It floats in water, so you will never lose it in a pool or the ocean.
- The flask has a rubber grip.
- There’s a sturdy handle on the lid.
- You can fill it with large ice cubes since its opening is about 2 inches wide.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty for manufacturer defects.
- It doesn’t fit in bike or car bottle holders.
9. Coleman FreeFlow Water Bottle
Coleman’s vacuum insulated water bottle comes in two sizes – a 24-once and a 40-ounce. The coating is non-slippery, and the cap is from 100% BPA-free plastic. Bear in mind that the largest item doesn’t fit in standard bike or car bottle holders.
The spout releases a strong water flow, and it is much better than a straw lid, which needs sucking to get the water out.
There is rubber on the bottom of this product, which makes it less slippery on smooth surfaces. One thing that is a bit irritating is the button you need to press to drink. You have to use your index finger to push it, but it would be more comfortable to use your thumb if the button were under the spout. So that’s one improvement this flask could use.
- You can fill this bottle from a soda stream and drink carbonated water from it.
- The lid has a retractable flip-up handle.
- An auto-seal feature and a side lock prevent accidental spillage.
- Lifetime warranty against defects.
- You can attach a carabiner to the lid or tie a paracord handle to the bottle’s neck.
- This is a hand wash only product.
10. Mira Stainless Steel Water Bottle
This product from MIRA is available in two sizes – 17 and 25 ounces. They keep liquids hot for 12 hours and cold up to 24 hours. You can fit small or crushed ice cubes through the mouth, whose diameter is about 1 ¼ inch.
The outside of the cap is steel, but the inside is plastic with a rubber O-ring. If you break or lose your cap, you can buy a replacement. However, the only lids sold for these flasks are regular twisting ones. Other lid models, like a flip-top or a straw one, aren’t available for this bottle.
For the quality of this flask, the price is more than reasonable. When full, the flask weights about 1 – 1 1/2 lb, but if it had a handle, it would have been more comfortable to carry. This bottle comes with a one year warranty, which is more than some of the products’.
- Both sizes of the product fit car and bike bottle holders.
- You can use this flask for carbonated water.
- This product is available in 26 colors.
- Not dishwasher safe.
- The exterior has some visible seams.
11. Klean Kanteen Classic Water Bottle
Klean Kanteen’s insulated water bottles come in four sizes – 12 oz, 20 oz, 32 oz, and 60 oz. This model is an upgrade to their Classic one. Additionally to the insulation, there’s also new paint and an improved insulated lid.
This product has a plastic cap with a loop included in the package. However, metal lids are sold separately. Handwashing is recommended for this flask and the cap since dishwashers slowly reduce their durability. Carbonated beverages shouldn’t be stored in this container.
Despite all that, a good thing about this bottle is that even if you leave it in direct sunlight, the liquid inside remains cold for hours. Also, the opening of the flask is conveniently wide to drink and fit ice cubes.
Overall, the product doesn’t leak and keeps the temperature for many hours. It is easy to carry by the loop on the top. The price is reasonable for the quality it provides. Plus, there are 10 color options to choose from.
- A carabiner can be attached to the loop on the cap.
- This bottle can keep colder water for up to 90 hours and hot for 24 hours.
- Electropolished interior – it doesn’t retain or impact water flavor.
- It dents easily.
12. Hiwill Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle
This Hiwill insulated water bottle has a wide mouth, and you can drink and fill it comfortably. It is vacuum insulated and made from 18/8 pro-grade stainless steel and is double-walled. The container keeps water cold for 12 hours and hot for 6 hours, which is a standard for these types of insulated bottles.
Three sizes are available – 21 oz, 27oz, and 37 oz. You can choose between sixteen color choices. The largest one has a diameter of 3.3 inches, which can fit some cup holders. The outside texture of the flask is powder-coated. What is more, replacement lids are sold, so you don’t have to buy a new bottle if you lose the cap.
The bottle should be washed by hand since it is marked as not dishwasher safe. It won’t get damaged, but in the long run, its lifespan will be shortened. Because of the wide opening, at least it is easy to clean. Overall, this is good value for money and isn’t the most expensive product on our list.
- The product arrives with two lids – a regular twisting one and a straw lid.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed, so if you’re not happy with the product, you’ll receive a full refund or replacement.
- The 37-ounce bottle is pretty much the biggest one we got on the list.
- The straw on the lid is too big.
The History of Insulated Vacuum Bottle
How surprised would you be if we told you that the first insulated flask was created in 1892? It was invented by a Scottish scientist called Sir James Dewar. However, he didn’t patent his invention at that time. In 1908, two German glassblowers created their own vacuum flask and claimed the rights to the product. Sir James Dewar filed a lawsuit against them but lost his case.
A few years later, the product was licensed to the Thermos Bottle Company, and they began selling variations of the product in Canada and the US. The name “thermos flask” (“thermos” is the Greek word for “heat”) became popular as did the product itself.
How do Vacuum Insulated Flasks Work?
So how are they made, and how do vacuum flasks work? Many, if not most, bottles are double-walled and vacuum insulated. This technology creates a buffer between the internal compartment, where the liquid is, and the external conditions. Think of this as having two vessels, one within the other, with a gap between them. This gap is hollow and prevents the temperature transfer between the two containers. Thus, the inside vessel is shielded from external influence, and the liquid inside remains at a steady temperature for hours.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Vacuum Insulated Water Bottles
We start with the benefits of using insulated steel flasks in your everyday life. Stainless steel products are stronger and durable than plastic. Also, they are much safer for your health than plastic. Here are the main advantages:
Steel Flasks are Better for Your Health
18/8 stainless steel is 100% chemical-free. Products made from this material do not pose any health risks. These vessels also do not impact the taste of the liquids they hold. Also, the well-made flasks do not allow mold and bacteria to hide and grow in seams, nooks, and crannies on the inside. Stainless steel doesn’t corrode or rust unlike aluminum or low-grade metal.
- First of all, a single reusable stainless steel bottle can last for years. Even after some time, you’re more likely to replace your flask because you’re bored with its design and not because it’s damaged. A single bottle can replace thousands of plastic ones in its lifetime.
- Secondly, all steel containers are recyclable, unlike plastic ones where out of six, only one bottle is recycled. Switching from disposable plastic bottles to reusable ones decreases the amount of plastic that ends up in landfills.
- Thirdly, these containers require less energy and fewer resources to manufacture.
Vacuum Insulated Steel Flasks Keep Drinks Hot or Cold for Longer
With some research, you’ll find plastic and glass insulated containers. However, stainless steel outperforms both of them. Glass and plastic can hold the temperature for about an hour or more if they are well protected. On the other hand, quality stainless steel insulated bottles can maintain a stable temperature up to 24 hours or in some cases, even more.
Saves You Money
The average American consumes about 165 bottles of water per year. If we multiply this number by an average cost of $1,50, it comes to $247.5 per person per year. Invest in a reusable vacuum flask, and you’ll save a lot of money.
We could only find two drawbacks of these containers, one of which most people do not even notice, but here they are:
Heavier than Other Materials
If you buy a bottle large enough for your daily water intake needs, you may find that when full, it’s too heavy to carry around. However, the lightest material is plastic, and as we said already, that isn’t the healthiest or the most eco-friendly choice of the three.
Some people say they feel a metallic taste when drinking from a stainless steel bottle. It may depend on the quality of the product or the brand. So when looking for such a container, invest in a high-quality stainless steel flask.
Is Stainless Steel Water Bottle Better than Plastic?
Stainless steel is safer for your health and the environment than plastic. In addition to this, steel containers are better at keeping beverages’ temperature than plastic.
If we compare a plastic bottle to stainless steel, the latter outperforms the former. Plastic breaks easier than steel. So a portable plastic bottle isn’t the best idea.
That being said, if you’re a fan of plastic, it’s better to invest in a good water pitcher for your home. Such a product filters the water, and it can be stored in a fridge. If you would be interested in this type of container, feel free to check out our water filter pitcher reviews.
Glass vs. Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Glass is a good option for a reusable water bottle, but not if you want it to keep your water cold for more than an hour. These flasks can have outside insulation in the form of neoprene or a felt cover. Such a sleeve can help retain the temperature of the beverage for some time, but it’s mostly useful to keep your hand safe from it.
However, if you wish to read more about them, check out our glass water bottle reviews. After reading it, you’ll be able to make a better comparison between the two types.
Furthermore, glass is fragile, and dropping it only once can be fatal. Whereas dropping a stainless steel bottle can only end with a couple of dents that do not impact its quality. There are some other minor differences between the two, like weight and price. Nonetheless, both are eco-friendly. However, it’s up to you to decide if a vacuum insulated water bottle or a glass water bottle is better for you.
What Water Bottle Keeps Water the Coldest?
The three primary materials used for reusable water bottles are hard plastic, glass, and stainless steel. Out of the three, the latter is the best at retaining a beverage’s temperature for a couple of hours. Glass and plastic, even with some sort of insulation or an outer cover, do not do such a good job. An insulated stainless steel water bottle can keep your water hot or cold for almost an entire day, sometimes even longer.
If you have a water cooler nearby to refill your plastic bottle, you can have a sense of constantly cold water. That’s an illusion, and if that’s convincing you that plastic is better than steel, you should think again. We have a helpful guide on top-rated water coolers, and we suggest you take a look at it, so you can find out more about how they work.
What is the Best Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle?
Surely, you’ve heard which the best water bottle brand is, right? Of course, you have. Every brand claims they are the best. However, there’s one major thing to consider when choosing a water bottle brand.
Some people think that reading “metal” or “steel” on a flask’s description means the product is safe. That’s not entirely true. The vessel and the lid must be made of food-grade materials. When you buy a metal bottle, you have to make sure it’s 18/8 or 316 stainless steel. Also, check if there are plastic parts and if they are BPA-free.
The most famous brands aren’t guilty of this, but some small companies use aluminum to create their products. However, food-grade aluminum requires some plastic lining, which can leak harmful chemicals if it isn’t also food-safe.
Cleaning and Maintenance for an Insulated Flask
An insulated flask can be your life-long companion. That’s not difficult to achieve. You just have to take good care of your bottle. To help you accomplish that, we will give you some tips about cleaning your insulated vacuum flask.
- We recommend washing your bottle daily. If you drink liquids other than water, you should wash it after every use. Juice, coffee, hot chocolate, or any other type leave a gunky residue, so it’s best to wash it away after finishing your drink.
- Additionally, we suggest that you do a deep clean every other week with distilled white vinegar. When stains appear inside of the flask, use a mixture of half and a half cup of vinegar and water. Fill the bottle and let it soak for five minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
- It is safer to wash the flask and lid by hand, using a brush or a sponge. Some products are marked as dishwasher safe but should be placed on the top rack. You have to read the labels carefully because sometimes the bottle is safe to put in a dishwasher, but the lid isn’t.
- For stubborn spots on the inside, you can use baking soda for scrubbing. Mix 2 tablespoons of soda with several drops of warm water to make a paste. Use a brush to apply the mixture on the stains, and you can leave it for a couple of minutes before scrubbing the stains.
We must add that you shouldn’t use chlorine or bleach to clean your flask. The chemicals may ruin the stainless steel or cause discoloration to the external coat of paint. Also, you shouldn’t put your insulated water bottle in a freezer, microwave, or oven.
Frequently Asked Questions about Insulated Water Bottles
- How long do insulated bottles last?
As you can see from our reviews, the span varies. Cold beverages last longer than hot ones in most of the products we’ve reviewed. Some flasks keep the water cold as much as 90 hours, while others only 12. On the other hand, they keep your coffee hot for up to 12 hours, and some only 5 or 6 hours.
2. Do insulated bottles have filters?
There are insulated bottles with filters. These products are useful in situations where you don’t have access to pure water. However, a downside to them is that one can only use them to drink water and nothing else because of the filter. Alternatively, you should take a look at our home page, if you need to know more about water filtration and its benefits.
3. What lids do insulated containers have?
The lids vary in terms of material and usability. Most common lids are made from sturdy BPA-free plastic with a silicone gasket on the inside to protect liquids from touching the plastic. In terms of usability, there are twisting lids, straw lids, and flip-tops. Some flasks can be used with either type. There are products whose caps also have some sort of insulation.
Best Insulated Water Bottles Comparison Chart
|Hydro Flask Water Bottle||$$$||32 oz||11 options||24 hours||BPA-free and phthalate-free; 18/8 food-grade stainless steel|
|Omorc Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle||$||21 oz||Black||48 hours||Stainless Steel, Improved Insulated|
|Hydro Cell Stainless Steel Water Bottle||$$||18 oz, 24 oz, 32 oz, 40 oz||7 options||24 hours||Stainless Steel|
|Healthy Human Water Bottle||$$ – $$$||16 oz, 21 oz, 32 oz||33 options||24 hours||BPA Free Sports Travel Stainless Steel Insulated|
|Simple Modern Water Bottle||$$||17 oz||44 options||24 hours||Stainless Steel Double Wall Vacuum Insulated|
|The Coldest Water Bottle||$$ – $$$||32 oz, 64 oz||10 options||36 hours||Built with True Stainless Steel, Double Wall, Vacuum Sealed|
|Coleman FreeFlow Water Bottle||$$||24 oz, 40 oz||7 options||58 hours||Insulated Stainless Steel|
|Mira Stainless Steel Water Bottle||$$||25 oz||26 options||24 hours||Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated|
|Klean Kanteen Classic Water Bottle||$$ – $$$$||12 oz, 20 oz, 32 oz, 64 oz||14 options||40 hours||Stainless Steel Double Wall Vacuum Insulated|
|Hiwill Stainless Steel Insulated Water Bottle||$$||21 oz||16 options||24 hours||Stainless Steel Insulated|
This is the end, friends. We know it took you some time to read the entire article, but now you know more about vacuum flasks and can choose the best insulated water bottle. Many people buy these as gifts for friends and family. So after reading our insulated water bottle reviews, you have a better idea about what brands are on the market.
We hope we helped you in your quest for a reliable vacuum flask. Keep yourself updated on new products and other types of bottles by coming back to WaterFilterMag like the best water storage containers. Also, you can re-read this post at any time. We appreciate all kinds of feedback, so please feel free to share some.