- 1 Are Glass Water Bottles Better?
- 2 What is the Healthiest Water Bottle to Use?
- 3 Why Does Water Taste Better in a Glass?
- 4 Best Glass Water Bottles Comparison Chart
- 5 Best Glass Water Bottles – Top Picks
- 6 Top Large Glass Water Bottles – (Recommended Picks)
- 7 Benefits & Drawbacks of Glass Water Bottles
- 8 What to Look for When Buying a Glass Water Bottle
- 9 How do I Protect my Glass Water Bottle?
- 10 Are Glass Bottles Heavy?
- 11 FAQ about Glass Water Bottles
- 12 Maintenance of Glass Water Bottles
- 13 Wrap up
Did you know plastic can take up to 1000 years to decompose? Sadly, it’s true. Reusable water bottles have been growing more and more in popularity in latest years. That is due to concerns about the environmental impact that disposable plastic bottles have. One of the healthiest and eco-friendly materials that are replacing plastic bottles is glass.
So, if you’re looking for the best glass water bottle in the hopes to help reduce plastic waste, you’re in the right place. At WaterFilterMag, we help you learn more about different products related to water. We also often post product reviews to ease your search for the perfect product. Check out the glass water bottle reviews we have prepared for you today. They are divided into two categories – small and large bottles.
Are Glass Water Bottles Better?
Yes, in almost every way, glass water bottles are better than aluminum, metal, or plastic. They are more eco-friendly because they are a durable substitute for disposable plastic units. Glass flasks are also safer for your health, and the water tastes better when stored in them.
Of course, the three main types have their pros and cons. So do glass bottles, but as a general rule, glass is considered to be better and safer for a reusable water bottle.
What is the Healthiest Water Bottle to Use?
It is safer to drink from a reusable glass bottle than from metal or plastic. Even BPA-free plastic ones aren’t 100% safe because they may contain other chemicals that are released into your water. Using glass to store water is also safer than storing it in anything else. What is more, glass is more harmless to use long term and at different temperatures.
Why Does Water Taste Better in a Glass?
Glass, unlike plastic, paper, or metal, doesn’t have a smell. This means that when water is stored in a glass container, you sense the smell of the water (some types of water can have some odor depending on what organic compounds are in it).
Additionally, metal containers change the pH of the water, which also has an effect on the taste. Not to mention that low-quality non-food grade metal containers can cause the water to have a metallic after taste.
The same goes for plastic, especially disposable water bottles. The expiration date on these products is for the bottle and not the water. Non-food grade plastic containers can leak chemicals in the water or give it an unpleasant taste. That’s why drinking from a glass container makes water taste better than plastic or paper containers.
Best Glass Water Bottles Comparison Chart
Brieftons Glass Water Bottles
|View On Amazon|
Ottis Classic Glass Water Bottles
|View On Amazon|
Origin Fruit and Tea Infuser Glass Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Veegoal Glass Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Urban Green Glass Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Best Glass Water Bottles – Top Picks
We will begin with the smallest bottles which are below 30 ounces. You’ll find our reviews on the larger than 30 oz. models further down in the list.
1. Brieftons Glass Water Bottles
This product from Brieftons is a pack of six 18 oz. glass bottles. A cleaning brush is included as a gift. The bottles have wide mouths, and filling them is effortless. They are about 9 inches tall and lightweight, meaning they are suitable to use as portable containers.
These bottles are made from BPA and lead-free glass which means they are safe for storing liquids. The caps are plastic but with a chrome finish and a rubber O-ring. This ring doesn’t let the plastic touch the liquid. It also makes the containers 100% leak-free. Keep in mind that the caps should be washed by hand.
These units aren’t safe to use in a microwave or a fridge. Extreme temperature changes can cause the glass to break.
- The bottles are slim and can fit a car cup holder.
- A cleaning brush is included in the package.
- Replacement lids are sold in packs of two. If you lose or break a cap or two, you won’t have to stop using your flasks.
- O-rings are sold separately.
- The bottles are dishwasher-safe.
- They are suitable for Kombucha fermentation.
- The caps are not safe to put in a dishwasher.
- Cleaning brush is too short to reach the bottom.
2. Ottis Classic Glass Water Bottles
This product is from Ottis Classic and it’s a 6-pack of glass bottles. Each one is about nine inches high and three inches in diameter. The capacity of each flask is 18 oz. A gift is included in the package – 6 spare caps.
Like most glass bottles, these shouldn’t be put in a freezer or a microwave. The glass these ones are made of is BPA-free and lead-free. That means that they are safe to store any type of liquids – juices, water, milk, coffee, etc. The mouth diameter is about 1.6 inches. It is wide enough for filling the bottles but not enough for a shaker ball or larger ice cubes to go through it.
We recommend handwashing the bottles, but they will be fine in a dishwasher as well. Unlike the caps which must be only washed by hand.
- All six flasks in the pack come with a different color neoprene sleeve.
- The sleeves have sturdy handles for carrying.
- These bottles fit in a cup holder even with the sleeves on.
- Kombucha and kefir can be made in these bottles.
- Sleeves can be decorated with decals.
- Sleeves aren’t sold separately.
- Hand washing is a must for the sleeves.
3. Origin Fruit and Tea Infuser Glass Water Bottle
Here we have a 20 oz. ORIGIN glass water bottle. It comes with a neoprene sleeve with a loop and a bamboo lid. Additionally, there’s a double mesh filter included for infusing tea or fruit. The infuser’s basket can fit up to 4 or 5 tablespoons of herb leaves or a couple of teabags. This bottle’s diameter is about 3 inches and fits in standard cup holders.
The material is lead and BPA-free borosilicate glass. It is a bit thicker than a regular glass bottle but not double walled. Also, the sleeve provides additional protection. The opening is wide- about 2 inches so the basket and strainer can fit and that makes filling the bottle a child’s play.
What’s nice about this flask is that the infuser can be removed entirely and the vessel is still usable. That also makes cleaning them easier. The strainer and basket are made from stainless steel. What is more, the bottle can be used with the strainer only if you need to filter water or juice.
- Fits in cup holders with the neoprene sleeve on.
- It has an eco-friendly bamboo lid.
- These bottles are marked dishwasher safe.
- 90 days guarantee for the bamboo lid and a free replacement.
- It comes with a tea infuser.
- The basket is too small for fruit infusing. It only fits a couple of slices.
- The bamboo lid shouldn’t be overtightened.
4. Veegoal Glass Water Bottle
This glass bottle comes from Veegoal and is an 18 oz. unit made from borosilicate glass. Ranging from -4 to +300 degrees, this product can handle the temperature without the glass shattering. It is slim and about nine inches tall. The unit fits any standard car beverage holders and comes with a silicone sleeve.
To remove the sleeve, hot water needs to be poured in the bottle to loosen the silicone. However, this product is marked as dishwasher safe with the sleeve on. What needs to be washed by hands is the bamboo lid. The lid and the flask shouldn’t be put in a freezer or a microwave.
The silicone sleeve makes your grip safer as it doesn’t slip. Also, the cleaning of the sleeve is effortless even though it collects a lot of dirt.
- Nine color options are available for the silicone sleeve.
- Two different caps are included in the package- one is bamboo and the other stainless steel with a handle.
- Three-month warranty for the lid and bottle.
- Replacement lids are available, in case you lose or break yours.
- This product has passed the testing of CA PROP 65.
- Once the sleeve is removed, it’s difficult to put it back on.
5. Urban Green Glass Water Bottle
This product from Urban Green is a sturdy BPA-free glass water bottle with a full-body silicone cover and a bamboo lid. The bottle holds 18 oz. and is slim and stylish.
What is more, since the sleeve covers the entire container, it doesn’t sweat and drip when filled with cold water. Also, since the flask’s mouth is wide, ice cubs can be put in it without difficulty. It is advised against removing the cover because it is full-body, and it is difficult to put it on.
Even though the bottle is entirely covered, the silicone is transparent, and you can still see how much it’s filled.
- This bottle is marked as dishwasher safe (but not the lid).
- Also, it’s marked as freezer safe as long as it isn’t completely filled.
- Six color options for the silicone sleeve are available.
- A second lid with a soft handle comes in the package.
- If the silicone gets a bit loose, water may spill between it and the glass where it may get mold.
6. Equa Glass Water Bottle
EQUA’s BPA-free water bottle is made from borosilicate glass, which is more durable to heat. Additionally, the walls of this product are quite thick and do not crack easily. This bottle has a capacity of 25 oz. but isn’t heavy even when filled. It is only 10 inches high. Since the product is made from glass, there’s no residual flavor in the water. The flask is designed and made in Europe.
The cap is made from plastic and has a silicone seal that doesn’t allow for spills. However, the silicone must be cleaned regularly, so it doesn’t get mold. The mouth is wide and pouring from a pitcher or another bottle is simple and spill-free.
This product’s design is very eye-catching, and with the various color options, you can choose one that reflects your personal style.
- There are 6 color options for this unit.
- This bottle’s felt cover adds more protection.
- 45 days money-back guarantee.
- Easy to carry around by the handle on the cover.
- The cover is difficult to remove for cleaning.
- You cannot order a spare cover only.
Willdan Giara Glass Bottle with Stopper Caps
|View On Amazon|
Bkr Glass Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Kanrel Glass Drinking Water Bottle
|View On Amazon|
Top Large Glass Water Bottles – (Recommended Picks)
Again, in no particular order, we present you with some of the top products in the over 30 oz. flasks category.
1. Willdan Giara Glass Bottle with Stopper Caps
This is a set of six 33.75 oz. glass bottles from WILLDAN. Each one is 12 and 2/4 inches tall and 3 and 1/2 inches in diameter. These BPA- free glass containers fall into the “large” category. All close with airtight gaskets that do not allow air to get inside. The mouths of these containers are the size of a standard wine bottle. Meaning they are not very wide and a funnel should be used to fill them.
You can put these items in a dishwasher, and they won’t be damaged. However, for thorough cleaning on the inside, hand washing them with a brush is the preferred way. What is more, if you need to put these bottles in the freezer, don’t fill them entirely.
The lids of these containers are made from plastic but have metal handles and silicone stoppers. That means that neither the metal nor the plastic gets in touch with the liquid inside.
- These bottles seal tightly and are suitable for brewing.
- This six-pack comes with a collapsible silicone funnel for easy filling.
- No noticeable disadvantages.
2. Bkr Glass Water Bottle
This product is 32 oz. BPA-free glass bottle from BKR. It’s one of the priciest products on our list. Not only because it has a large capacity, but it’s also advertised as a luxury product, which it is. The silicone covers the full body of the flask for maximum protection and style. Plus, the cap is made from sturdy plastic. If you remove the cover for cleaning, you’ll have a hard time putting it back on.
The glass isn’t tempered, and it doesn’t stand to drastic temperature changes. Additionally, boiling and freezing liquids shouldn’t be poured into it. Hot and cold drinks are ok to pour but preferably when the bottle is at room temperature.
Overall, the product is of nice quality and holds a lot of water. That being said, for its amount of money, the packaging could have been better.
- 90 days warranty – if the bottle breaks, the manufacturer will replace it.
- There are 10 colors available for the silicone sleeve.
- All components are dishwasher safe – lid, bottle, and cover.
- The opening is too small.
3. Purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle
This product comes from Purifyou and is a 32 oz. borosilicate glass bottle. It has a silicone cover from the bottom to the top, but its design allows you to see how full the flask is. The cap is made from heavy-duty plastic with a silicone gasket and a stainless steel stopper. It’s made in a way that the plastic and water do not touch. However, the metal stopper touches it.
The three components of this product –cover, bottle, and cap – are dishwasher safe. Additionally, the cover can be taken off, but it is difficult to do so and to put it back. What is more, the flask can be used in a microwave but for a couple of minutes only and without the lid. Also, for such a large bottle, the mouth is kind of small.
- A portion of the company’s profits is donated to building water wells in Africa.
- The sleeve has a time marker to help you stay hydrated during the day.
- There are seven color options for the sleeve.
- Replacement lids are sold in the same color options as the covers.
- The cap, the cover, and the bottle are dishwasher safe.
- The cover could have been thicker.
- This unit doesn’t fit in a cup holder.
4. Kanrel Glass Drinking Water Bottle
This Kanrel 32 oz. water bottle is conveniently designed tall and slim. Thus, it can fit in a vehicle cup holder. Even when it’s filled, this unit doesn’t feel too heavy because the weight is evenly distributed. That being said, it may be heavier on its strap, which is quite thin. The mouth is ok for drinking, but ice cubes cannot fit through it.
Warm and cool drinks are fine to pour into this glass container, but not boiling or ice-cold because of the glass breaks. What is more, this product looks like a sports bottle, however, the cap is not a flip-top but a twisting one. That makes it hard to remove the lid when training or while driving.
This is not an expensive product and the quality kind of shows that. Additionally to the thin strap, the silicone sleeve could have been thicker. Also, the cover collects dirt at the bottom and it’s hard to clean it.
- It’s dishwasher-safe.
- The lid has a handle.
- FDA-approved product.
- The strap on the lid may break after some usage and can cause you to drop and break the bottle.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Glass Water Bottles
We’ve compiled a list with the Pros and the Cons of glass water bottles.
- Contaminant-free is the top benefit of glass water bottles. These products do not contain any dangerous chemicals or impurities that can be potentially hazardous. Glass doesn’t release anything into the water. It doesn’t even give it a strange smell or taste.
- These bottles hold temperatures longer than plastic. If you pour hot coffee or ice tea in a glass vessel, you can be certain that for the next hour the temperature will remain unchanged.
- Glass isn’t porous or absorbent. This means that your bottle will not absorb the color of the liquid it holds. A plastic one gets colored by certain types of liquids.
- It’s effortless to clean and sterilize a glass bottle. Some are dishwasher safe, and others are only washed by hand, but glass cleans easier than plastic.
- More eco-friendly than plastic bottles. All glass is recyclable, whereas only seven out of thirty types of plastic are. Also, glass doesn’t degrade over time, and all plastic does.
- The manufacturing of glass bottles produces almost the same amount of carbon emissions as some types of plastic ones. Since more energy is required, this also reflects on the price.
- Cost is a drawback because glass is more expensive than plastic and aluminum or other types of metal products.
- Glass is very fragile, and this is a concern for many people. However, for any type or size of a glass bottle, there are different sleeves available for extra protection.
We believe that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of these products.
What to Look for When Buying a Glass Water Bottle
All glass bottles are safe for you to keep water, coffee, juice, or kombucha. But there are some additional features that you may want to know about. Here are some of the factors to consider when purchasing a glass water bottle:
- A protective sleeve is a must for any glass bottle. Luckily, many products come with some sort of cover. They protect the glass from breaking if you drop it. The covers are made from various materials, most often they are silicone, felt, or neoprene. Such covers are sold separately as well. You can change the style, the material, or just replace a damaged one. These sleeves also make gripping and holding the container more reliable because they aren’t slippery like the glass. They also act as insulation and help maintain the beverage’s temperature for some time. However, if you’re interested in checking out our insulated water bottle reviews, you’re free to do so.
- The lid also matters. There are two standard types of lids – one is a screw and the other a flip-top. The latter is easily opened and is ideal for people who are constantly in the gym, jog, or train. Most, if not all, bottles regardless of the type of lid have a silicone seal that helps prevent leakage. This seal also prevents the water from touching the plastic or metal lid.
- Weight is important. You may be able to drink a lot of water, but are you able to lift a full 32 oz. glass water bottle? If you use your flask for sports and training, will you be comfortable running with such a heavy and large one? Answer these questions before you find a product with a cute design and purchase it immediately.
- Don’t forget to get the right size. Maybe you need a glass water bottle of 32 oz. capacity? Or you need a 14 oz. one for your child? Bear the size in mind, when searching for such a product. Don’t just type “glass water bottle Amazon” on your computer. Some brands offer one design in different sizes.
- The width of the opening can be essential. You cannot fit ice cubes through a small hole. That’s why you should make sure you get one with a wide enough opening. Also, a wider mouth will be easier to fill from tap, pitcher, or a water cooler. Although, it depends on the water cooler design and not the bottle alone. We have some water cooler reviews if you want to read more about the types and which can be used to fill a bottle.
- Some brands offer a certain warranty for their products. They guarantee that their items are durable and offer 90 days of warranty. If the bottle breaks within this period, they send a free replacement. Accidents can happen, and bad luck can be a factor. For example, you can receive a broken or defective product. You may want to look for a product with a warranty.
- Accessories or replacement parts. The more, the merrier, right? Of course. The same goes for buying glass bottles. You can check out products that come with a cleaning brush. Others have handles or straps for more comfortable carrying. Also, some products come with replacement lids.
- The cost is also a factor to consider. Glass is more expensive than plastic, and each feature a bottle has increased its price. Decide how much you want to spend on such a product. Look for styles and sizes within your budget.
How do I Protect my Glass Water Bottle?
Since glass is inherently fragile, anything made from it is also very delicate. Your glass water flask will need some sort of extra protection, even if it’s made from thick material. Accidents happen, and just one slight bump to the bottle can cause it to fall down and shatter into pieces.
There are special sleeves sold to use for protecting a glass container. Some materials used for these products are neoprene, silicone, and felt. What is more, some bottles are sold with such a sleeve. These covers do not only protect the bottle from breaking but also make gripping it safer.
Additionally, some of these sleeves have handles to make carrying easier.
Are Glass Bottles Heavy?
Glass bottles are inherently heavier than plastic and metal ones. Yet they are not so heavy to be uncomfortable to drink from. What can have an impact on the weight of a glass container is its size and how thick the glass is. Some products are thicker than others. Large glass water bottles are heavier than the same size plastic or metal one.
However, in terms of transportation, glass is not very eco-unfriendly. Plastic, metal, and aluminum containers are easier to stack. They are lightweight and many can be loaded at once for transportation. Glass, on the other hand, is heavier, and fewer containers can be loaded due to the risk of breaking. That means that glass bottles cost more to transport.
FAQ about Glass Water Bottles
1. What volumes are available?
The volumes of water containers available on the market are quite wide. You can easily find reusable glass bottles that are as small as 14 oz. and as large as 32 oz. In the mid-range, the capacities range from 19 oz. to 25 oz.
2. Can I use a glass bottle for cold or hot beverages?
It depends on the specific product. As you can see from our reviews above, some bottles can endure wider temperature ranges than others. Some can even be put in the microwave for a couple of minutes while others cannot. You can fit ice cubes through the openings of wide enough vessels. Other flasks can be put in a freezer, while third types cannot endure either. Probably all bottles can endure hot coffee or tea without a problem, but not boiling water.
3. Is a glass bottle safe for a baby?
Glass is healthier as it doesn’t release any chemicals in the liquid it stores, while plastic can do that. The concern with glass products is that they are more fragile and heavier. You can use such a container and add a silicone or neoprene sleeve to be on the safe side. You can feed your baby safely with a glass bottle but never leave the baby or a toddler with it alone. Glass is also safer to store breast milk while plastic isn’t.
4. Can I fill water from a pitcher?
Yes. Using a water filter pitcher to purify your water and then fill in a portable bottle is great and easily achieved. For additional information on such products, check out our reviews on the best water filter pitchers and buying guide.
Maintenance of Glass Water Bottles
Some models are dishwasher friendly, but others aren’t. Additionally, some products have lids and covers that can be cleaned in the dishwasher as well. However, the safest way is to wash everything by hand and with a brush. Warm water and soap are all you need to clean your bottle, the cap, and the sleeve.
What is more, you should wash your glass bottle daily, if you want to be 100% certain there are no bacteria. Silicone or rubber covers should also be washed often and dried well because they can get mold.
Now that this post is over, we hope that you are more than certain, which is the best glass water bottle for you. We tried to answer as many questions as we could without becoming too boring. With this much information about the features, sizes, and extras that glass flasks can have, you can pick a different type of bottle for each family member.
At WaterFilterMag, we deliver honest product reviews and comprehensive buying guides to make your life easier. Hopefully, this article and our glass water bottles reviews did just that. Also, you may be interested in our reviews of top-quality filtered water bottles.
If there’s anything you’d like to share with us or any questions to ask, feel free to do so in the comments below.
Thank you! We hope you come back soon!